Sign in to follow this  

crf 250r rear tire

I'm setting my 09 crf250r up for next year I ride in a lot of sand and a little bit of black dirt the bike is stock I'm about 170 lbs the bike has a lot of wheel spin . I was wondering the stock tire is a 110 would a 120 be better or not?

Stock tire should be a 100 wide. Get a soft-terrain tire, like a Dunlop MX31, Kenda Southwick, Michelin StarCross Sand 4, etc. I weigh 225lb and don't have a traction problem with the stock 100 tire, likely because my added weight increases the tire patch contact pressure. Bigger tire = added mass = usually not the right way (weigh) to go.

If your bike is stock get 100/90 soft terrain tire. If modified try 110/80 it is lighter than 110/90. 120 would be to heavy especially for 170lb rider.

The wider the tire, the less traction in the sand. You want something thin to dig in and not stay on top. Hard packed terrain you need a wider tire for better traction.

The wider the tire, the less traction in the sand. You want something thin to dig in and not stay on top. Hard packed terrain you need a wider tire for better traction.

Yes, and putting anything over a 100/90 on the stock rim is a waste. The larger tire on the skinny stock rim over rounds its profile and can be less to no better traction on intermediate to harder surfaces. So in the end you just end up with a big heavy back tire. Not good.

Love the MX31 on both front and rear. The previous poster was right in saying going wider doesn't really help because then the tire floats on top of the sand instead of digging for the harder dirt underneath.

Dunlop does not even offer a soft terrain tire in a 100/90, your only options for Dunlop are the MX71 at 110/80 or 110/90 and the MX11 at 110/90. The MX 11 is awsome it was only available to race teams last year. Dunlop is coming out with a matching front to the public maybe next year. A friend of ours got to try it when Dunlop used his private sand track for testing. They used lap timers on their bikes and just from the front mx31 tire change to the factory tire he dropped over 3 sec a lap. He was a double digit pro picking up over 3sec a lap from just a front tire change.