Sign in to follow this  

DZR400 mcct cam chain tensioner length

Hi All,

I have a TT MCCT fitted to the DRZ400 2004 I have recently bought.

While giving it a good clean, I have noticed that there does not seem to be much thread left for adjustment.(approx 3 full threads before nuts collide) Does this mean the cam chain has too much slack and needs changing?

I know its a big ask, but could some friendly fellow owners of DRZ's with an MCCT fitted remove them and let me know the distance from the end of the plunger up to the face that has the bolt holes in and perhaps if known, mileage of the chain.

I can then do a comparison and who knows, with enough info we may be able to work out an ideal life span of the chain.

Most importantly I do not want to do damage to my bike if the chain is near the end of its life.

Thank you all in advance

Thanks for the speedy reply with pics.

Do you know the full length of the stud used? to calculate how much is inside.

I just dont know if the one I have may have been modified in length for some reason or other.

Thanks again

This is my mcct in place , which shows a lot of thread left

19122011103.jpg

And this is the acct fully extended , if it helps

19122011104.jpg

I think you could be up for a new camchain , greg

Thank you all for your reply's. This is a great forum.

Finally prior to a strip down, anyone know what the total length of the threaded rod should be. Mine measures approx 3"

I recently replaced mine, here is my post. If you are mechanically inclined it is not that hard and regarding the guides I did NOT replace mine per Eddies reccomendation.

He said that there was not enough miles on them to worry about and IIRC it was right at 12,400 miles.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1021514&highlight=

I put mine in today this is how it looks

photo-16.jpg

I am not sure if it should go in more but I followed the instructions and this is where i believe the noise goes away, havent had a chance to ride it yet though

I replaced the ACCT with a TT MCCT today, following the instructions that came with it and... it wound all the way in without finding any resistance. AND while slowly rotating the crank by hand as per instructions it came up against something hard and will not move any further. it was pretty noisy and looking through all the ACCT-MCCT threads it seems the ACCT was at its limit. I hope I haven't damaged anything- any ideas what's stopping the crank? I assume it needs a new chain? I'm relatively new to the DRZ so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

I replaced the ACCT with a TT MCCT today, following the instructions that came with it and... it wound all the way in without finding any resistance. AND while slowly rotating the crank by hand as per instructions it came up against something hard and will not move any further. it was pretty noisy and looking through all the ACCT-MCCT threads it seems the ACCT was at its limit. I hope I haven't damaged anything- any ideas what's stopping the crank? I assume it needs a new chain? I'm relatively new to the DRZ so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Was the bike runnning before you took it apart? And did you get it on top dead center before you removed the factory tensioner?

As asked, was it running before the work?

Did you set the crank to TDC on the compression stroke before removing the ACCT?

Did you remove the hex head cap and spring underneath before removing the ACCT? if not, the ACCT will fully extend when you remove it from the head.

The hard to turn sounds like the cams are out of time, and valves are hitting the piston. You need to check cam timing .. DO not attempt to start the motor, or turn it over until you have checked the cams.

It was running. I did not move the piston to TDC before pulling the ACCT. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about whether it is necessary to do so. The instructions with the TT MCCT do not suggest to do it, so I didn't. I think the chain has jumped a tooth and the piston is contacting valves. Time for a new chain I think.

Thanks for the replies.

It was running. I did not move the piston to TDC before pulling the ACCT. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about whether it is necessary to do so. The instructions with the TT MCCT do not suggest to do it, so I didn't. I think the chain has jumped a tooth and the piston is contacting valves. Time for a new chain I think.

Thanks for the replies.

No conflicting information, just wrong information passed on by people they got lucky, then said SEE you don’t need to put it at TDC,, you have found out why you do...and what its recommended to place the crank at TDC

MCCT Install guide, and Why one is recommended

Started by E.Marquez, May 01 2008 07:53 AM

As previously suggested, with NO conflicting information..

DRZ Valve Clearance Check and Adjustment plus Cam timing

Started by E.Marquez, Aug 11 2009 02:56 AM

That's a good write up there E.Marquez, it will certainly be useful next time.

I'd like to make a friendly suggestion- that if TT recommends that method then that method should be included in the instructions supplied with the TT MCCT, because the instructions included are vastly different. In fact they match the information which you say is "just wrong information passed on by people they got lucky', and they're printed under the TT logo.

That's a good write up there E.Marquez, it will certainly be useful next time.

I'd like to make a friendly suggestion- that if TT recommends that method then that method should be included in the instructions supplied with the TT MCCT, because the instructions included are vastly different. In fact they match the information which you say is "just wrong information passed on by people they got lucky', and they're printed under the TT logo.

Thanks for the feedback,, But I don’t own or run TT, so not my call.. The opinions written in the tech articles I post are mine, and do not represent ThumperTalk owners.

I have the TT instructions, what I see is not vastly different, they omit the set up steps true, but correctly state how to install and adjust the MCCT.

The very first part of the TT included instructions state “Installation should be performed by a qualified mechanic”

Honestly.. If an installer is not aware that the cams should be positioned at TDC, so lobes are not pressing down on the buckets, that person is not a qualified mechanic. The on line article attempts to help the unqualified installer work though the job.

No matter what is included for instructions or written in a on line article, someone will find fault, something missing that they, an unqualified installer failed to do. Happens all the time… Qualified installers will be capable of installing without a few lines of text. Some unqualified installers will screw up the install no matter what written instructions are included, then blame the instructions.

Damned if you do, dammed if you don’t.. Either way people will find fault.