Sign in to follow this  

Normal for RMs??

ever since i got my RM it has dumped this black/grey gunk outta the topend breather hose but its just the one in the middle on the powervalve cover is this normal? im running 36:1 on oil and i used to run Maxima super M and switched to yama lube when i did the top end last year..the bike runs perfect no problems with jetting the spark plug is nice and brown....my buddy has a RM and it does the same thing.....

motor.jpg

motor1.jpg

I have a 00rm 250 an I've never seen anything like that come out of my pv beather hose.... I don't think I've ever seen anything come out of that hose... What yr rm's?

I'm thinking that it's either grease or water in your oil. Try changing your oil, if the old stuff looks like that then you may have a bad water pump seal.

its an 04 and nope not loosing coolant i use engine ice i check it before every ride and its full never had to add any to it since my topend...it smells just like exhaust it dont always come out grey like that its mostly black....im getting ready to do my topend soon so i can see what it looks like inside the cover...i got about 40+hrs on it this year figured if i was leaking coolant i woulda blown it up already....but it runs great

I get a very small amount of oil out of that breather tube sometimes. I'm sure if there is water in the tube from washing or condensation then it will turn milky like that.

It's normal to get a little spooge out of the vent on the PV cover. There is always exhaust pressure coming out of there as there is a little hole from the exhaust port to the PV area.

Probably just moisture in the line mixing with the spooge.

I get a very small amount of oil out of that breather tube sometimes. I'm sure if there is water in the tube from washing or condensation then it will turn milky like that.

i do wash the hell outta it after every ride but i dont use a powerwasher.....i wasnt to worried about it since its always done it and never had a problem with the motor....just was seeing if others had this problem or what it might be.....i dont know the compression i dont have a tester but i can still tell it has good compression from kickin it....

It's normal to get a little spooge out of the vent on the PV cover. There is always exhaust pressure coming out of there as there is a little hole from the exhaust port to the PV area.

Probably just moisture in the line mixing with the spooge.

i figured it mighta been build up cause on startup i notice alittle smoke coming out of the pv hose

i do wash the hell outta it after every ride but i dont use a powerwasher.....i wasnt to worried about it since its always done it and never had a problem with the motor....just was seeing if others had this problem or what it might be.....i dont know the compression i dont have a tester but i can still tell it has good compression from kickin it....
foot gauges are only so accurate, get a cheap gauge and take readings, 150 plus is where you want to be, anything lower starts to make alot of blow-by. which you have w/ that smokey breather.

foot gauges are only so accurate, get a cheap gauge and take readings, 150 plus is where you want to be, anything lower starts to make alot of blow-by. which you have w/ that smokey breather.

Explain to me how worn rings are going to add pressure to the PV area???

A PV's job is too dump compression. And as I said in an earlier post there is a hole between the exhaust port and the PV area, about the size of a main jet. All exhaust pressure must come through that port, hence pressure pushing into the PV area.

It's not a 4 stroke losing compression to the crankcase and pumping out lower end oil.

Explain to me how worn rings are going to add pressure to the PV area???

A PV's job is too dump compression. And as I said in an earlier post there is a hole between the exhaust port and the PV area, about the size of a main jet. All exhaust pressure must come through that port, hence pressure pushing into the PV area.

It's not a 4 stroke losing compression to the crankcase and pumping out lower end oil.

if its at at the point of spilling grease and excess smoke out of the breather, its low on compression. they're by-product's of incomplete combustion, 2 or 4 stroke. like i said, put a gauge on it, its low on compression, excess moisture will build w/ low cylinder temps. compression makes heat.