Sign in to follow this  

2012 kx250f worth it?

Is it worth getting a 2012? how reliable are they? Handling? I can get a 2012 for 6560 otd or a 2012 rmz250 for 5900 otd

I thought you were worried about 4 stroke valves and all set on the KTM 150?? The '12 is a fine machine...

it won the TWMX shootout so i think its good, but the rmz seems like a solid price and its in 2nd or 1st in everyones shootout so idk

I thought you were worried about 4 stroke valves and all set on the KTM 150?? The '12 is a fine machine...

I keep thinking I will miss the torque of the 250f

I have 12 KXF. But the RMZ was my second choice. That's a hell of a deal for the Zook.

Both are very good bikes. As someone said, they usually finish 1 and 2 in the shootouts.

For that much difference, I would go RMZ.

The savings would almost pay for a suspension re-valve.

Only problem with the rmz is its 252 miles from me. the kxf is about 50 plus he said he has a loyalty program where for as long as i own the bike i get discounts on parts.

also arent the rmz kind of off par on reliability compared to the kxf? I know some kxf's have shot rods but i havent heard of many, ive heard of more false neutrals on the rmz

Here is the thing.. the 2011 is the year that shot rods.. there was a revision in 2012 on the cranks for duribility.. Then you have the fact that Kawasaki has a better contigincy program along they stand behind there products better then any other brand.. Kawi replaced my cases and crank [~$700 in parts] when my 2011s motor tossed a rod..

Mind you I still had over 1k in parts ontop of that and if you can't do a full rebuild you will add labor.. zook will unlikly ever pay for anything..

so the question you should ask.. Do I Feel lucky? hahaha.. If the zook doesn't have any problems in it's life then it will be the better choice due to it's alot lower price..

How ever you're taking a calculated risk.. Keep in mind as with any dirtbike it's a calculated risk and kawi may not cover any problems that may arise.. But you'll have alot better chance getting an issue resolved with kawi then any other brand..

thanks man, ya im not a very lucky person haha. If kawi is better at standing behind their product then it sounds like its the bike i should get. The rmz is a better price and people say it has the best handling in the class, but if it has a problem with the tranny and i have to fix it, whats the point of having that great handling if i cant even ride it

thanks man, ya im not a very lucky person haha. If kawi is better at standing behind their product then it sounds like its the bike i should get. The rmz is a better price and people say it has the best handling in the class, but if it has a problem with the tranny and i have to fix it, whats the point of having that great handling if i cant even ride it

yeah. I agree.. I don't keep tabs on the zooks.. I've heard about the tranny problem but haven't looked enough to know if it's just isolated or if it was resolved in there newest bikes.. how ever I've only heard of a few that were covered by zook..

You may buy that zook and never have a problem so you may come out a head going with it.. but the question is do you want to chance it.. I'm not saying that the kawi isn't prone to mechanical issues as well with anything man made can and will break.. just kawi is more likly to stand behind there product then the other brands.. On a side note there has been a few people who have not been covered.. but kawi has covered in full or partly the two issues with my bikes.. my 07 [nation wide issue with a bearing in the tranny] where they covered fully new cases, crank, bearings, tranny, & cylinder + labor at no charge and my 2011 where they covered the cases and crank.. I still had to buy all other parts + labor which was around 1100 in parts I did my own labor so it wasn't an issue.. I'd have perfered them to cover 100% of the parts but nothing is better then something with a bike ran hard with 35hrs on it when it popped..

yeah. I agree.. I don't keep tabs on the zooks.. I've heard about the tranny problem but haven't looked enough to know if it's just isolated or if it was resolved in there newest bikes.. how ever I've only heard of a few that were covered by zook..

You may buy that zook and never have a problem so you may come out a head going with it.. but the question is do you want to chance it.. I'm not saying that the kawi isn't prone to mechanical issues as well with anything man made can and will break.. just kawi is more likly to stand behind there product then the other brands.. On a side note there has been a few people who have not been covered.. but kawi has covered in full or partly the two issues with my bikes.. my 07 [nation wide issue with a bearing in the tranny] where they covered fully new cases, crank, bearings, tranny, & cylinder + labor at no charge and my 2011 where they covered the cases and crank.. I still had to buy all other parts + labor which was around 1100 in parts I did my own labor so it wasn't an issue.. I'd have perfered them to cover 100% of the parts but nothing is better then something with a bike ran hard with 35hrs on it when it popped..

35! and they still covered some of it! wow that is incredible. I would have thought if the problem was in the first 10 hours then maybe after that, its your problem

35! and they still covered some of it! wow that is incredible. I would have thought if the problem was in the first 10 hours then maybe after that, its your problem

the thing with my problem was the way the crank popped and lack of any evidence of wear.. The big end of the rod completly blew popping it through the crank and upon inspection there was no bluing to indicate abuse by my part or just use.. it failed abruptly due to either a fault in the rod.. or the brand new oem piston that was put in less then 1.5hrs before it popped..

heres a link to the thread concerning my issue with my 2011

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10441676#post10441676

by the way the 07 had roughly 11-14hrs on it when it went KABOOM and was 100% covered..

wanted to add.. I purchased my 07 sept 06 and it blew april 07.. the 2011 was purchased july 2010 and blew june 11..

on another note.. kawi also covered an issue with the plastics on the 2011 with in 48hrs of my emailing them with a photo of the crack no questions asked and over nighted..

how ever the motor issue to get that covered was a little bit more involved..

I bought both a 2011 KX250f and a 2011 RMZ 250. I just sold the RMZ. It's all personal preference. I like the hit of the KXF much more. The RMZ seemed to have alot of the power at the bottom and felt heavier in the throttle if that makes sense. The KXF is more of a powerband that feels like you are 'winding' it up like a rubberband, then letting it loose. The RMZ has a much smaller cockpit and pivots side to side much easier. On most motocross tracks I found the stability to be nice on the KXF. The RMZ seems to handle better at first, but at speed, the KXF feels much more solid and gives you alot more confidence. I also owed less on the RMZ and had already done the suspension on the KXF since the 2011 model suspension stock was unrideable. I am 6 foot, 210 lbs, so the smaller RMZ was a little tight. Once you learn to control the unruly back half of the KXF, it is a fun bike. They are both good bikes, but the stability and hard hit of the Kawasaki won out for me.