Sign in to follow this  

2011 KX250F clutch problems *NEED HELP*

I have been experiencing severe clutch problems and i am to the point that i don't know what to do next. I have replaced the steel and friction plates as well as the springs 3 times now within the past year. I rode my bike after putting in a new barnett clutch kit because i've heard that the weak OEM springs are a big problem. After about an hour on the new clutch it started slipping and wasn't engaging in the gear properly. I was in 5th gear and it was riding like it was in 1st revving out and not pulling at all. I took it apart and the only other thing I've heard that could fix the problem is replacing the clutch basket and innner hub. If someone can tell me whether it truly fixes the problem or if there is something else that might be affecting it, it would be truly appreciated.

I got 40hrs on my 11' and still have the stock clutch.I got 120hrs out of my 07' before i changed it. all while running shell Rottella synthetic(blue bottle). Also i run 1000ml in my 11' instaed of what the manual calls out. Wich i think helps more then anything

I would verify that you have the basket and hub installed correctly. If you have never taken them out, then this is not likely it, however, if the clutch hub nut is loose and letting the hub move in and out, that could be your problem. Second, it could be meshed incorrectly with the kickstart gear, crank, and oil pump gears, but that would be noticed way before getting to 5th gear. Check the inner hub nut. You need an air impact wrench, largest most torque you can find is best, to get it off. Or you can put it in gear and hold the rear wheel in place with a bar through the swingarm/spokes near the rim. I don't like that method as much because it worries me that I might break a spoke. Then turn it off with a long breaking bar.

Finally, you might have the wrong clutch pack in there from barnett, or even a manufacturing defect. Check the width of all your plates and compare to stock specs. If you don't have specs let me know and I'll give them to you. Need a caliper for that.

Ok, the barnett clutch packs comes with two sets of springs one for the 04-05 and the others for 06+ if you have the 04-05 springs in there then you will be slipping like a mug..

Second.. if your basket and inner hubs are knotched and the pressure plate is glazed badly you will still be slipping..

I've had issues with my clutches also how ever I have yet to have one slip in around an hour of run time.. I got 25hrs out of the first clutch pack..