Sign in to follow this  

Red Hot Header

Hey fellas...I just got a 2009 450R used with 150 miles on it. The previous owner added a JD Jet Kit and R-D fuel screw. To my knowledge those are the only modifications from stock. I got it home and took it down the road about 3 miles and came back. When I got back, it was getting dark and immediately noticed the header coming out of the motor was red hot. I know that headers get hot, but that dude was glowing big time. Is that normal? I haven't had a dirt bike in a number of years and don't recall that kind of heat.

For the most part I think that's normal and only really noticeable at night.

Check the jetting...if jetted properly it should NOT glow. I ride day and night and even in the gnarliest, clutch-cooking single track, it doesn't glow. Sounds like a lean condition to me. Good luck.

Could be running lean if the stock exhaust insert is still in and the air box hasn't been opened up.Also from what i here you guys in the states have an AIS system(smog reduction)and the general consensis is to block it off or remove it all together.

As Dirk said check the jetting may not be right for your area

It is normal if the bike is just sitting and idling I would imagine especially if the choke was on.

Check the jetting...if jetted properly it should NOT glow. I ride day and night and even in the gnarliest, clutch-cooking single track, it doesn't glow. Sounds like a lean condition to me. Good luck.

I'm hoping the jetting is appropriate for my area. The bike came from Houston and I'm in Memphis so there isn't much atmospheric change there. Of course I have no idea how the previous owner jetted it.

I adjusted the fuel mixture a bit and will try again later this evening.

also...This wasn't from idling with the choke on. This was just a short 3-4 mile ride in 38 degree weather. I opened up the throttle for sure...but not conditions I'd expect to have a cherry red header.

Edited by brewdude
added a little more info

A slight orange glow is normal if the bike is sitting more than a few minutes [in a dark area]. If it's bright orange, your running to lean:thumbsup:

Check the jetting...if jetted properly it should NOT glow

This isn't necessarily true. And it also depends on what type of header. Both my yoshi and pro-circuit titanium headers glow red when it's dark out, and I know both bikes are jetted perfectly.

This is commonly discussed on ATV forums as well. Perfectly normal to see a red glowing header at night.

increasing the fuel mixture a bit did the trick. went for a short ride tonight and checked it when I got back. is there a way for me to know if I have the mixture as good as it's gonna get?

is there a way for me to know if I have the mixture as good as it's gonna get?

Dyno :bonk: