Sign in to follow this  

Any good alternatives to the Stealth Q?

Time for a new spark arrestor and frankly the Q has done nothing but drool down the length of the pipe for as long as I've owned it. I run a JD jetting kit. Basically I'm over it.

Looking for something quiet and relatively spooge free.

Any suggestions?

If jetting is off, any silencer can spooge. The q stealth is long, so I suppose it might be more prone to spooge when something is off. I've ran my q stealth since the month they were introduced without any issues.

If you are going to attack the problem with silencers, or a change of silencer, you just abotu have to go with a shorty, dont you? Based on whats available right now, no company has a magic formula for small, spark arrested, and quiet.

If we blame the large silencer for spooge, the theory has to be that a smaller or less restrictive silencer lets the oil blow out the end, like exhaust, without collecting and dripping.

i switched to a leo vince silencer. much smaller, spark arrested, and as quiet if not quieter than the Q. same price point too. oh and no spooge @ all on mine.

That's interesting. Mine spooge like the dickens even while running obviously lean. I think it's a venue thing. RC is in Utah for instance. When I go to Utah I don't spooge after a day or two. But at home in the forests I spooge something awful. I dance with trees in a tall gear at an A class clip. I think it's a heat thing. The exhaust just doesn't stay hot enough all the way out the pipe. The desert is open enough often enough to get some heat in the system.

Thanks for the tip Rodgini. I'll score one of those the next time I need a new can. I don't think I'll be spooge free in the forest. But maybe it'll burn more than a tank of gas before dripping all over the place.

Have a CR250 now. Using OEM exhaust - no spooge of course but it's quieter than my old YZs. Suggest trying an OEM silencer with a Sparky clamp on. You'll hafta clean out the screen from time to time but I bet the spooge goes away.

Turbine style S/A causes the cool exhaust gas to condense prior to exiting bike. Not good if you hate spooge. :bonk:

My CR didn't spooge much. But I always ran the stock silencer W/O an SA.

who likes quiet 2 strokes??? braaaaaaap!!!!!!!!

people who like to continue riding. your gonna catch lots of grief for that comment.

I think it is a little crazy to hold the two strokes to the same level as the four strokes in a fairly remote environment. You can have one of each go by into the woods with the same sound level. You won't hear the two stroke for more than a few corners. The four stroke you'll hear for several minutes. Nature of the beast.

That said I do repack my bikes when I feel they are getting noisy. I like a quiet bike. The only time it gives you trouble is when a rider you want to pass doesn't know you're there.

When I use my q stealth on either my 250's it dosnt splooge much. No drool just a black ring at end. I run them the woods. Im running r50 klots now 40:1. Ive been running my q stealth on my 250. My 295 dep enduro pipe and dep long silancer is at 88 with a decent pack. I like the power of the dep long silancer better then the q stealth. Downfall to the dep is no sparky but hardly ever do they inforce it. I run real crisp lean jetting.

my new bike came with a fmf Q, factory jetting was pig rich on the pilot, and it spooged pretty bad

it's cleaned up now, just a little ring and dribble, that's where I typically end up on two strokes, I like them a little fat

my 4 strokes I tend to run on the oposite, on the lean side, so they have a little more snap like a 2 stroke

Most every bike up here (in Utah) woudl spooge. Silencers, pipes, or jetting never did much. What did help was bumping up the compression by milling the head or having RB designs build the correct head.

From these experiences I blamed it more on a cool combustion chamber rather than any specific pipe or silencer.

Thats the other thing with a "spark arrested legal" silencer. I believe spark arrestors are a usa only thing, so choices are limited.

I think it is a little crazy to hold the two strokes to the same level as the four strokes in a fairly remote environment. You can have one of each go by into the woods with the same sound level. You won't hear the two stroke for more than a few corners. The four stroke you'll hear for several minutes. Nature of the beast...
Absolutely. :busted::awww::bonk:

In our area, sound testing is done with the bike in neutral and running at a pre-determined, steady RPM, usually around 5000 rpm.

Frankly, it is a joke to sound test bikes at a steady RPM. Without a load on it, a bike can spin 5000 rpms with the throttle barely cracked!

But take two bikes -- a 2-stroke & a 4-stroke -- that have passed a sound check, and have them drag race or run them up a hill.

The 4-stroke at WFO will be much, MUCH louder than the 2-stroke.

The stories of riding areas getting closed because of the louder 4-strokes are many and increasing.

Time to change the sound testing procedure to bring the "more socially responsible" 4-strokes in line with the rest of the bikes.

At a local road course, sound readings are taken by meters positioned at a variety of places around the track. If your vehicle (bike, car, whatever) exceeds the track sound limit, you are black-flagged until you make it quieter.

Maybe something like that is the answer. :smirk:

Many thanks to all who have REALISTICALLY quite bikes. :banana::bonk:

Ran a Lexx MXe silencer on my YZ250F. Quiet. Design was bad so it rattled around out back but did not limit power. Sold it. Rode once in Mtns with OEM exhaust. Loud per MY standards. Got a different slip on (Motoworks) that falls somewhere between the MXe and OEM sound wise. Had embarrassment to run it with my trail riding buddies who had quiet bikes. They didn't complain but other guys on 450Fs with full on race exhausts said it sounded like an XR80 during a long hill climb.

So, it depends on your point of reference for noise. I also agree with the Capt that 4 stroke sound carries further - MUCH further.

A little update. I ended up going with the Leo Vince silencer/ sparky. Great pipe, ran it all day yesterday and NO SPOOGE! Didn't change the jetting or anything else. I'm very happy. Plus the pipe is shorter, seems to be just as quiet and as light. The best part was the price, $136 shipped!

• Like 1

A little update. I ended up going with the Leo Vince silencer/ sparky. Great pipe, ran it all day yesterday and NO SPOOGE! Didn't change the jetting or anything else. I'm very happy. Plus the pipe is shorter, seems to be just as quiet and as light. The best part was the price, $136 shipped!

I have the Q on my 125 right now and I am starting to get tired of the spooge, I may have to look into the Leo Vince :bonk: