Sign in to follow this  

Bike only wants to start when pushed

03 250sx

Went on a ride this weekend...pulled the bike out of the truck and it started fine, warmed it up and shut if off. Get my gear on and start the bike up fine and was waiting for the other guys. One wasn't ready so I shut it back off.

It wouldn't start back up. Only wanted to start when bump started. But doing it that way it started and ran fine. Kept going on throughout the day so I had to make sure to only shut it off at the top of a hill...

We messed with the air screw a bit but still couldn't get it to kick over

any thoughts?

If it fouled a plug it wouldn't start no matter what right? Or will a bike still run with a fouled plug?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027123&highlight=

I wasn't getting spark. I trimmed back the wire that the plug cap plugs into and I was getting spark again, but I think it's something else that's acting up.

Actually I put in a fresh plug after it stalled the first time in camp and it started right up, but after that if it stalled it wouldn't start back up by kicking. Only by pushing it

When you kick it over what does the kickstarter engage electronically? Could something like the stator be going out and it's not putting off a spark when kicked?

idk just throwing out some ideas

Well I'm no expert and I didn't spend last night at a Holiday Inn Express but......

Sounds to me like your problem with the high tension lead is still there, the connection between the spark plug boot and the high tension lead (the wire coming from the coil to the spark plug boot) is marginal at best.

This connection has to be 100% or you are going to loose continuity which means you are not transfering the required voltage from the coil to the spark plug to ignite the fuel when you are kick starting it, push starting the bike creates a longer voltage feed to the plug which has a better chance of igniting the fuel.

I'd go back and take a real close look at this connection. :bonk:

Well I'm no expert and I didn't spend last night at a Holiday Inn Express but......

Sounds to me like your problem with the high tension lead is still there, the connection between the spark plug boot and the high tension lead (the wire coming from the coil to the spark plug boot) is marginal at best.

This connection has to be 100% or you are going to loose continuity which means you are not transfering the required voltage from the coil to the spark plug to ignite the fuel when you are kick starting it, push starting the bike creates a longer voltage feed to the plug which has a better chance of igniting the fuel.

I'd go back and take a real close look at this connection. :bonk:

Thanks, just the answer I was looking for...something somewhat technical.

I'm somewhat sure it's not a good connection. I checked the price on the coil last time at the dealer and it was like $75....not bad I guess

My dad has a 04 450exc, would be nice if the coil was the same and I could try it

actually I just check on ktmcyclehut and the coil's look like they're the same....I'll have to check it out this week and try it on my bike

The coil and wire aren't one piece...by looking at the schematic it looked like it was all one piece?

Have a link to buy somewhere on line?

Edited by bhsdriller

Is there any chance you have a small amount of coolant leaking into your cylinder? I had the same problem on a KX250 just before the head gasket blew. It had white smoke pouring out the exhaust for a while but I thought it was due to a poor mixture.

Is there any chance you have a small amount of coolant leaking into your cylinder? I had the same problem on a KX250 just before the head gasket blew. It had white smoke pouring out the exhaust for a while but I thought it was due to a poor mixture.

I don't think so...bike smokes at startup, it's not white though

I don't think so...bike smokes at startup, it's not white though

Does it run ok once it is started? Or does it want to die?

Does it run ok once it is started? Or does it want to die?

It runs like a champ, will idle all day. I wasn't wanting to shut it off so I'd just idle it

Will only start pushing it, but after that it runs fine.

All connections are good. I'll go over it again

And if it fouled a plug it wouldn't run at all right?