Sign in to follow this  

Switching 250f to 2 stroke, how big of bike?

I have a 06 yz250f that i use to ride moto and practice in a tight sand track. I want to get a 2 stroke for reliabilty and just for the fun. But i am still going to be racing motocross competively.

So heres my dilemma, i am riding c class right now and plan to bump up to B later. i am just barely below 6 foot and 150 pounds long and lanky. i am thinking either a 125( probably yamaha), 150sx, or cr250. I am a huge honda fan but the red 125's just arent up to the potential as yamadogs. the 150sx is probably my last choice because they are newer and people say they have just as much torque and horespower as a 125. And lastly a 250 2t because i wouldnt need to rebuild the bike as much and use as much effort to keep up with the 250f's. The thing im afraid of with the 250 2t is that it will be to much power. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:thumbsup:

coming off a 250f i tihnk you would notice the 250 2 stroke has alot more power but if your riding sand like you mentioned, sand sucks up so much power so i tihnk you would apprieciate the added power of a 250 2 stroke in the sand, i have an 05 cr250 and ride sand quite often and find im never looking for more power, i say go 250 2 stroke, they are good bikes, never had a days trouble with mine.

There is a huge difference is the tq out put on the 250 2-strokes as you know over the 125's and riding one is great fun; racing one before you feel ready is another matter. If you feel like you are ready, go for one. If not why not consider a Husky CR125/150. They are light, powerfull, handle like a dream, and very reliable bikes. If you are looking a new ones they come with a 125 and a spare 150 set up.

HUGE difference between the two. I often find that a bit less is usually a whole lot more.

Do you want to ride a slow bike fast or a fast bike slow? You will have to make a lot of adjustments to ride the 2 stroke properly. Its not hard, its just different.

Find a new YZ 125(05 for frame 06 for suspension) . Pipe it - Jet it and rip it.

i made a similar switch, i was on a 02 YZ 250F, and choose to go to a 04 YZ 250. There definetly is a lot more power there, but not to much that you wont be able to handle, i threw an 11 ounce fww on and its the perfect bike now.