Sign in to follow this  

05 kx250 to 08 kx250f

Hi guys im new on here and i currently have a 2005 kx 250. i had a 125 back about 4 years ago but didn't ride up until i got this 250. it has tons of power and i don't think ive made it out of 3rd gear on it but now i have the option to trade straight across for a 2008 kx250f a much cleaner bike at that. should i make the trade hoping the less power will make me a better rider in the long run or stick with the 2stroke and try to get used to the power. when i had my 125 all i rode was track and i wanna get back to that but for now ive been on pretty flat land just getting back into the swing of things.

My brother has an 05 kx250f and I have an 03 kx 250. The 250f is far easier to ride and has very predictable and considerable power. My brothers previous mount was a crf 450 and he likes the overall behavior better even though he has sacrificed some power. The kx has lots of power but is far more difficult to ride but maintenance costs are far lower for the two stroke obviously. Like my bro says "two strokes steer with the rear (tire) and four strokes steer with the front". Neither bike is a bad choice. We ride primarily flat track and desert.

First of all, 3rd gear on that bike is the same exact speed as 3rd gear on any other bike. Bikes don't gain top speed when they get bigger engines, they gain acceleration. Secondly, a 2008 250f is nearing the end of of its life in most cases. It is about ready for a major rebuild. 4 stroke engines tend to grenade hard-core after a few years. The reason that the guy wants to trade you straight up for your 2 stroke is because 2 strokes are better in every single aspect of performance in motorcycles besides power delivery. It would be a big mistake to fall for the marketing ploys and buy a 4 stroke. They are bottomless money pits.

• Like 1

by the way, that bike sounds like a rattle trap. Definitely don't get it. Listen to this guys bike, it sounds a lot like the one in the video at the beginning.

You will never ever ever see a 2 stroke do that. It is not physically possible for the rod to point in that direction in a 2t crankcase.

Edited by dirtjumpordie

by the way, that bike sounds like a rattle trap. Definitely don't get it. Listen to this guys bike, it sounds a lot like the one in the video at the beginning.

You will never ever ever see a 2 stroke do that. It is not physically possible for the rod to point in that direction in a 2t crankcase.

Pre production bike being rode by a pro.

Pre production bike being rode by a pro.

2 strokes still do not blow up like that. It is impossible because of the way the crank sits in the case...

2 strokes still do not blow up like that. It is impossible because of the way the crank sits in the case...

Surely you wouldnt automatically defend two strokes. Thats not the kx450f that was sold to the public in 2012.

Hey dirtjump, maybe you should take a break from massaging that boner that you get from thinking two strokes are the best and only thing ever and actually put some time in on a four stroke. You might be surprised that you can ride one faster for a longer period of time.

Hey dirtjump, maybe you should take a break from massaging that boner that you get from thinking two strokes are the best and only thing ever and actually put some time in on a four stroke. You might be surprised that you can ride one faster for a longer period of time.

He is so fast a four stroke would blow up if he touched it. C class is getting fast these days.

I have ridden 4 strokes. I do not want to buy one because I am in the used market and I cannot afford to pay to rebuild them.

He is so fast a four stroke would blow up if he touched it. C class is getting fast these days.

yeah I am pretty lame, I mean after 2 entire years of owning a dirt bike at all I should probably be top of B class by now. Damn I am such a spode.

Edited by dirtjumpordie

I have ridden 4 strokes. I do not want to buy one because I am in the used market and I cannot afford to pay to rebuild them.

What did you give for your yz?

What did you give for your yz?

I payed $2200 for my 2008 yz250 in good shape, and then I rebuilt the top end for $150, put new bearings in the linkage, put new graphics on, and put new tires on. So probably in the neighborhood of $3,000.

Secondly, a 2008 250f is nearing the end of of its life in most cases. It is about ready for a major rebuild. 4 stroke engines tend to grenade hard-core after a few years.

Not back in 2011 when this was posted.

:smashpc:

Not back in 2011 when this was posted.

:smashpc:

Sorry, somebody else dredged this thread up not me. I didn't even look. By the way, I really like your signature.

Edited by dirtjumpordie

See dirtjump, you really are stereotyping four strokes in these days, comparing them to the rattletraps that first came out. I have owned a good amount of two strokes and four strokes and have never had a catastrophic failure like you keep talking about. I currently have about 92 hours on my 350 and the valves haven't moved once. I think that you just need to put some extended seat time in on one, due to it sounding like you might have ridden one for a short period of time. The thumpers are just as reliable as a smoker, regardless of what MXA always spouts. Those guys bitch about displacement advantages, then on the next page are saying how brand X four strokes are the greatest on earth.

buy and ride what you want to but i got bad news for you....a two stroke will blow up just like a fourstroke will blow up.....i like them both and have seen cranks go in both and seen two sroke pistons break and take the cylinder out......you got to take care of them both to make them last!!!

• Like 2

See dirtjump, you really are stereotyping four strokes in these days, comparing them to the rattletraps that first came out. I have owned a good amount of two strokes and four strokes and have never had a catastrophic failure like you keep talking about. I currently have about 92 hours on my 350 and the valves haven't moved once. I think that you just need to put some extended seat time in on one, due to it sounding like you might have ridden one for a short period of time. The thumpers are just as reliable as a smoker, regardless of what MXA always spouts. Those guys bitch about displacement advantages, then on the next page are saying how brand X four strokes are the greatest on earth.

Yeah those 350fs are nice bikes. I saw one when it was in the shop I work at. It had 12 hours on it and it would not start, but other than needing valve work it was a pretty good bike.

Yeah those 350fs are nice bikes. I saw one when it was in the shop I work at. It had 12 hours on it and it would not start, but other than needing valve work it was a pretty good bike.

Trust me, just about every manufacturer has had a bike, regardless of engine configuration, that has messed up in a short amount of running time. Judging that every four stroke is a giant heap, due to seeing one at a shop is a little far fetched. I know plenty of 350s that have plenty of hours and run fine. Preventative maintenance goes a long way, I am super uptight about maintenance, and I spend no more money with upkeep for my four strokes than my two strokes. People say "well, you gotta buy an oil filter and oil". How much does your pre-mix cost? See, with regular maintenance, it really doesn't matter.

• Like 1

know a guy thats had a ktm350 over 2 years and never had a problem....know several guys with 07 and 08 kx250f and yz250f that has rode the dog $hit out of them and never rebuilt or had a problem......the old line about ticking time bombs does not hold true and i can prove that to anyone!!!

• Like 2