Sign in to follow this  

03 cr250 woods valving help

I dissasembled my 03 cr250 forks today after getting all confident reading the Doggers thread. Was very straight forward and easy with the service manual too. Im still trying to wrap my head around valving principles and theory, but im getting there.

Anyway I want to mimick stock crf250x valving for now and go from there. Its REALLY crappy now and beats me up on harescrambles courses full of rocks and roots. Someone has been in my forks before, the midvalve is an exact copy of the 250x exept for one extra 20.1 on the rebound side. Effects of that?

The basevalve has a Gold Valve in it and reads like this:

7 X 30.1s

30.5mm x 2mm thick

5 x 16.1s

Opinions on this stack? What affect does the goldvalve have on stock valving. Can I just stack the stock 250x shims on the goldvalve?

Just looking for some feedback. Im 200lbs with gear and a B-level harescrambles rider/ fast trail rider. Im looking for plushness over rocks and roots (without a bunch of deflection) yet able to soak up big drops.

Thanks guys.:bonk:

The midvalve/rebound is basically stock 250x

20.1 x 3

17.1 x 4

10.2 x 3

2mm post

.2mm float

Rebound:

20.1 x 2

16.3 x 4

I have .46kg springs coming for my weight...

Basically can I run a stack meant for a stock piston with the goldvalve piston? I have some suggested stacks to try, the goldvalve is just throwing me off.:bonk:

I called racetech and got some answers concerning the gold valve.

While cleaning parts I noticed a problem with my midvalve.

It read as follows

20.1 x 3

17.1 x 4

10.2 x 3

2mm post

The 3 10.2s are only 6mm ID and were stacked above the post (8mm OD)? This didnt allow the rest of the stack to slip down over the post....are they supposed to be under the post against the base cup?

Second calculating the float...its a 2mm post, a 1mm recess in the piston.. 1.3mm in shims if the 10.2s do go in the stack (replaced with 8mm id)

2mm-1mm-1.3mm is -.3mm float?!!!

Am I doing something wrong here?

the rebound looks ok but I would expect more float from

the x model , more like 0.5mm

But right now I have 1.3mm in shims and only 1 mm of room, which calculates to 0 float?