Sign in to follow this  

KX250 Rattle ?

Just picked up this KX dirt cheap, but questioning the rattle I hear from around the engine.

The rattle is constant, and doesn't really increase with RPM's...... Seriously don't think anything is wrong with motor because the prior owner bought the bike new in 1991 and said about 15 hours ago the top and bottom were rebuilt. He said he had the engine bored out to 265....??? Someone said you can only go in increments of 020? He also said the tranny was new too.

I took apart the carb and cleaned out all the jets and she is now ripping the ground up like crazy.

My KDX200 didn't sound like this and it had a KIPS....thinking the KIPS might be the issue.

Any input.....??

rattling at idle is normal,mine does it.Think its in the clutch,pull in the lever and it goes away.

No change with the clutch in or out, in or out of gear....just easy to hear at idle.....This bike is soo much fun.......so much fun that I sold a KDX200, and also trying to sell another KDX175 and XR200......

Thats fine my bike does it too I wouldnt worry about it unless it started sounding like that when you rev it up lol.

Sounds pretty good to me! Looks good too! I think its a 90 because the 91s had blue anodized upper fork tubes. I had a 90 that I bought new and loved it!

I had a 91 and yes I would say that is a 90 also. Loved my 91 too and that bike changed me from Yellow to Green.

Ed

wow....thanks guys! No, the owner said he bought the bike new in 1991...the seat was replaced with some ugly green cover...but it looks good. The forks are FMF so they are not stock. I painted the other parts the other day so they are not the original color......

Thanks for the support guys!

I found this video of another KX and it has the same rattle...ticking...not sure how to describe it.....

ALSO>>>> my buddy one upped me (he thinks) and bought a 98 RM250 and said he will toast me? We haven't raced side by side on a road yet...but just curious how bad he might take me? I have a newly rebuild top/bottom and tranny with FMF fatty/silencer combo....also was bored out to 265, but not sure if that is possible, more like 270?

it's normal, it just means the power valves are nice and clean. they rattle when they're freshly cleaned.

Thanks....any reasons why a freshly built KX250 couldn't take a 98 RM250 on a straight away...especially when the KX is bored to 270cc's???

if the gearing on the kx is low and the gearing on the rm is a bit higher then in a distance race the rm wins,if you short shift and end up out of the power ban then that will slow down the kx so thats what I meant by gearing or rider.As for which one would be faster then it all depends on how the bike is set up,most these 250's are pretty much same for power but you also have 7 years difference on the rm.The 265 aint gona be a hugh increase in power and it also may not overrev as good as the rm,this is all asumption as we don't know the setup of both bikes.Was not a shot at your skills or anything just an example on why the rm could be faster.

haaaa we ended up trying to fix my buddies RM today......***, as the green machine sits there ready to go. I did get a chance to get my bike into second gear with room to have the front end come up..... for the first time since I bought her...imagine that. Quite impressed and cant wait to get into 3rd....nice bike