Difference between wide-ratio and close-ratio gearboxes?

I am trying to get all the info I can before I purchase a new dirt bike. I'm planning on buying the Honda CRF250X or the Yamaha WR250F, which are both trail bikes with electric start and a battery. My mom wants to know the difference between close ratio and wide ratio. I thought it was self-explanatory, but she doesnt believe me. Thanks.

Those bikes are both wide ratio if you were wondering. But a close ratio is good on the mx track where you always want to be in the power. A wide ratio usually has a very low first gear so you can lug it through tight trails. The ratios are more spread out with bigger gaps meaning less shifting. The CRF250X is wide the CRF250R is close.

Those bikes are both wide ratio if you were wondering. But a close ratio is good on the mx track where you always want to be in the power. A wide ratio usually has a very low first gear so you can lug it through tight trails. The ratios are more spread out with bigger gaps meaning less shifting. The CRF250X is wide the CRF250R is close.

But the Yamaha site says a WR250F has a close-ratio gearbox, while the honda website said a wide-ratio for the CRF250X. If theyre both wide-ratio, then why does it say that?

It's just a matter of explaining it to her in a way she can visualize. Draw it out for her. I think of it this way......

It's the engine RPM range that a gear works well in before needing to shift to another gear.

Close ratio: 5 gear example

<-1-><-2-><-3-><-4-><-5->

Wide Ratio:

<--1--><--2--><--3--><--4--><--5-->

In the examples, think of the gear number as the RPM sweet spot for that gear and the arrows on either side to be the RPM range below and above the RPM sweet spot that the gear works well in before needing to shift.

Then you can see that a wide ratio gearbox allows a greater selection of riding speeds without needing to shift so much or needing so much clutch work during the constantly changing trail conditions one can face.

My mom wants to know the difference between close ratio and wide ratio. I thought it was self-explanatory, but she doesnt believe me. Thanks.