Sign in to follow this  

I'm havin trouble with rollers

Hello again!

I'm obviously a beginner at MX, and I'm seriously having some trouble dealing with rollers. I just want to know if I should hold the throttle the whole way, or chop the throttle for the split second when your in the air. Whenever I go over rollers, I try to chop the throttle for that short time in the air, but then I loose power when I land. I can usually get through the first few bumps, then I loose power and don't have enough power to make it to the next one. I usually land on the face of one of the rollers and start to bounce around and loose control. Should I just come into them faster, or pin it the whole way though?

Well, with rollers or a long whoop section, staying pinned is critical. You need to keep that wheel light, as much as possible and you don't want to loose speed. Coming into them pinned and in the right position is also critical. I try to come in with the front light automatically, so when I tap the first one it doesn't slow me down.

During a race on tv, it sounds like the throttle is going up and down...am I just hearing the rear wheel slowing the revs on impact while the rider is holding the throttle open at a 'consistant' setting?

hearing the rear wheel slowing the revs on impact while the rider is holding the throttle open

Yes.

You can go slow over whoops and they are relatively easy to handle, and you can go very fast over them and they are easy to handle. Somewhere in between slow and fast it will be very hard to handle the bike. When you reach that point, you need to give it some more gas to level out. Same thing if you come into some whoops too fast, you need to keep your speed and commit. If you slow down half way through, that's when it can get ugly.

Keep practicing, turns and whoops is where you'll make your passes.

During a race on tv, it sounds like the throttle is going up and down...am I just hearing the rear wheel slowing the revs on impact while the rider is holding the throttle open at a 'consistant' setting?

Ohh trust me, they are pinned. You're just hearing the slight change in tone because its almost impossible to pin through a whoop section without the throttle going up and down slightly.

Be careful with the "pinned" stuff. This is very dependant on the size bike. Few if any "pin" the throttle with the larger cc engines, find the sweet spot with a steady throttle position that allows keeping the front end light. You want to drive thru the whoops/rollers without letting either end settle into the trough if you can. The further apart the peaks are, the harder this is and it requires more speed. Take your time, many pros still struggle with this type of obstacle.

Be careful with the "pinned" stuff. This is very dependant on the size bike. Few if any "pin" the throttle with the larger cc engines, find the sweet spot with a steady throttle position that allows keeping the front end light. You want to drive thru the whoops/rollers without letting either end settle into the trough if you can. The further apart the peaks are, the harder this is and it requires more speed. Take your time, many pros still struggle with this type of obstacle.

I guess pinned is a very subjective word, finding the right "speed" is what it's all about. How about this; go in with more speed then you think necessary. That might work better then "pinned". :bonk:

Keep the rear wheel on the ground through the valleys. Keep both wheels on the ground ove the peaks. Front just over the top of each peak. If you're going to hop the last one or two then compress hard off the face and pull the bike up with your legs. Follow those simply rules and do anything it takes with the throttle to achieve those results.

What is your current method for handling your troublesome rollers? Be specific about bike, gear, length of section, spacing, and height,

etc.

The more you can get on the balls of your feet the better, try and push down and manual through them.

th_VID00047-20111029-1411.jpg

You are just hearing the RPM drop due to contact with the ground, and usually throttle WFO consistent.

Ohh trust me, they are pinned. You're just hearing the slight change in tone because its almost impossible to pin through a whoop section without the throttle going up and down slightly.

The change in RPM is due to the above statement. It is very possible to be WFO through the woops and most likely of a high caliber pilot. The throttle angle will not change once you find the throttle stop and hold it there.

Woops and rollers are two totally different obstacles and two totally different techniques. Woops are more of a bonzi attack, including body position and throttle, and rollers are more finesse. The rollers can still be done WFO, just finessed more. Every set of woops and rollers are different and need to be approached as such. The previous video shows the roller technique perfectly.

I'm seriously having some trouble dealing with rollers. I just want to know if I should hold the throttle the whole way, or chop the throttle for the split second when your in the air. Whenever I go over rollers, I try to chop the throttle for that short time in the air, but then I loose power when I land. I can usually get through the first few bumps, then I loose power and don't have enough power to make it to the next one. I usually land on the face of one of the rollers and start to bounce around and loose control. Should I just come into them faster, or pin it the whole way though?

It sounds like you may be trying to jump through them. That's ok, usually a little slower but ok. If your loosing power for the next jump get on the throttle a little sooner. You may find that eventually you are on the gas consistently all the way through. Depending on the situation you may need to slip the clutch to keep the rpm up. When you land in the face of one... that is one of the toughest things to handle. Much more of your energy is transferred back into the bike. You need to prepare for this by locking up the suspension the best you can by either being on the gas hard or on the rear brake or both. As far as bouncing around and loosing control, this type of obstacle takes a lot of strength and experience to get good at but your suspension may be an issue. Have someone watch you to see if any adjustments could be made to help. As you get more experienced try to push on the pegs to keep the rear wheel on the ground to consistently drive through them. Keep pressure on the pegs, side of the bike with your knees, (point toes in) and pull back on bars in a rowing motion or as the BMXers say, manual.

The more contact that rear tire has the better. Unless you've got a long run and are carrying a lot of speed into them. I like this set of rollers in the video because it is pretty technical coming right out of a corner.