Sign in to follow this  

RMZ storage

I keep all my toys in my garage. Its only half insulated and heat is only on when im working on stuff. It can typically drop down to -20c (-4f for you Americans) none the less this is cold. I periodically start up the rmz to keep the internal components well lubricated. Will these cold temperatures impact my rmz power plant? My coolant is 50/50 and there is no chance this will freeze up on me.

Questions-comments-sujjestions-recomendations-feedback all encouraged!

Edited by ratrodster

My biggest suggestion is to not mention any of the stuff you just said to anyone! All your doing is confirming to someone where there is stuff to steal. As for your RMZ, it will be fine!

Despite some opinions, periodically starting your bike in those temps is not good for it. Unless you let the bike get real hot over a longer period of time, all you will do is create condensation in the tank.

I live where it gets cold and I store my bike in an uninsulated shed. The best thing to do is pick up some star tron from a marine store, mix it in with your fuel and run it through so it gets into the pump and injector. After that, drain the fuel in the tank so you can fill it with fresh gas in the spring (you could also fill it with treated fuel but you'll want to drain it in the spring regardless). Pull the air filter (or the whole sub frame) and spray some fogging oil into the throttle body. Hold the throttle wide open so it won't squirt any fuel, hold the kill switch so it won't start and kick it about 15 times to suck the fogging oil through the motor. After that, button it back up and leave it till the spring.

It's also a good idea to put fresh oil in for storage. Used oil that has begun to break down can acid etch bearings if it sits too long.