Sign in to follow this  

Whats the best set up for riding on ice ?

I have a 2006 KX250F and I want to do some ice riding this winter. What is the best tire/stud set up and gearing I need . Should I use screws or use snowmobile studs for the tires and what tires work best? :bonk:

Don't use snowmobile studs. Tires != Tracks.

Pick up a pack or two of Kold Kutters and run 'em in with a screw gun.

Keep in mind that once you stud up a tire, that's going to be a studded tire for the rest of its life. I'd recommend a new set of tires, then stud them up and hang onto the regular ones you took off.

X2!!! Kold Kutters are the way to go, just fit as many studs per knob as you can. The knobbier and harder compound the better!

Don't use snowmobile studs. Tires != Tracks.

Pick up a pack or two of Kold Kutters and run 'em in with a screw gun.

Keep in mind that once you stud up a tire, that's going to be a studded tire for the rest of its life. I'd recommend a new set of tires, then stud them up and hang onto the regular ones you took off.

kenda ice tire back 4"x19 and a dunlop d739 with a liner in the front, run 1 inch screws they are less likely to get flung out

People around here started doing it a number of years ago and tried just about everything until someone showed up one year with a set of Fourniers pre studded tires.

The following year almost everyone had them.It's all about placement and angle and though some tried to duplicate them they'd still get lapped until they switched.Strange but true.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=fournier%20ice%20tires&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marcelfournier.ca%2Findex-en.php&ei=k-LwTqazNqby0gGOj6nEAg&usg=AFQjCNHxfsypHicoIGOEyW6yMFCTxgS_dQ&sig2=LlR1Jk-p4hgCywTnWSOBuw&cad=rja