Sign in to follow this  

California Riders missing, staged from Randsburg

Two riders, Dan and Chris, riding a KTM 530 and either a Honda 250F or 450 have been missing since late Saturday night and all through Sunday. I'm hearing they have 4 helicopters and Search and Rescue teams looking for them right now. They were likely driving a 1st generation black Toyota Tundra with an extended cab. Their plan was to stage at Randsburg and head towards the salt lake.

If you have any information, please pass it on to the authorities. Thanks!

I was mis-informed apparently. They weren't on dirt bikes this time. They were in a caged Polaris UTV heading out to the Salt Lake. If they were coming back to Randsburg at night, it wouldn't surprise me if they overshot it to the east and ended up near Red Mountain. Left at 2:30AM (for who-knows-why) and were supposed to be back before dawn.

Well, good news is that if they left at 2:30am, they were likely dressed for the cold. Been hovering around freezing at night...

I maybe give theory on what got them lost

If they were headed to the salt lake (Koean) dry lake, Its a very

easy trek, that is if R50 and R5 was open, and maybe less that

an hour trek from Randsburg

My guess is they saw the gate at R50 at the R43 intersection and

decided to alter their route, and that is what got them in trouble

because, unless ya really know that valley, its not easy to get

to that dry lake.

This happens many times a year, and county, BLM, military local resources are

brought in and its a costly one. Our green sticker fund pays for most of this.

(Not just Randsburg to Koen, but people get lost out here almost every weekend)

I certainly hope they are found soon, not sure how far you can get with a fully

gassed UTV, but I have seen these things far and beyond any gas source.

Wayne

I was mis-informed apparently. They weren't on dirt bikes this time. They were in a caged Polaris UTV heading out to the Salt Lake. If they were coming back to Randsburg at night, it wouldn't surprise me if they overshot it to the east and ended up near Red Mountain. Left at 2:30AM (for who-knows-why) and were supposed to be back before dawn.

Hope it all turned out good, but something tells me alchohol was involved?

I was wondering why there was a sherriff search and rescue crew at the Rand fire station yesterday afternoon. They had thier quads loaded up so maybe they were found?

Any 2:30 AM departure reeks of alcohol and or tweek. I hope they are allright, it has been in the low 30's overnite.

Yeah I'm sure they were "being festive". Definitely no tweaking though, I can assure you that.

Wayne, good info to know. I'll pass it on to people who are out there. Thanks.

S/R called it a day at 7PM last night. Resumed this morning.

I am hearing 90-100 mile range for this particular UTV.

Here's the police report, Emergency Info at bottom: Subject: Search Suspended for Two Missing Men from Randsburg

Details: Details:On 12/18/11, at 10:30 AM, deputies were dispatched to the Randsburg area on a report of two male adults who were missing. Once on scene, deputies learned that member of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and deputies from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office had been involved in a search for two male adults from Randsburg. The two men left the Cottage Inn Motel, in Randsburg, on December 18th, at about 2:30 AM, riding in a 2011 white Polaris Razor XP 900 ATV, and were in route to Cudde Back Dry Lake bed in San Bernardino County. When members of the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Office were unable to locate the two men, they contacted the Kern County Sheriff’s Office. The Kern County Sheriff’s Office Desert Search and Rescue Team, along with the Indian Wells Mine Rescue Team, responded and began searching for the two subjects. The two missing adults are identified as Chris Wayne Rice, White Male, 29, 06-10-82, 6 feet tall, 185 pounds, with blonde wavy hair and blue eyes. Rice was last seen wearing a gray sweatshirt and blue jeans. The second is identified as Daniel Preddy Carbenaro, White Male, 27, 07/08/84, 6 feet 2 inches tall, 185 pounds, black hair and hazel eyes. Carbenaro was last seen wearing a black “Fox” windbreaker and dark jeans. The search continued through the day, with assistance from the California Highway Patrol air unit and an air unit from the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office. At 10:30 PM, the search was suspended because it became too risky for search team members to continue searching at night, due to the rough terrain and the numerous open mine shafts in the area. The search will resume at 6:30 AM, on December 19th. Anonymous "text" tips can be sent to TIP411 (847411). Just type the key word "KCSO" prior to the message. Anyone having information on this incident is asked to contact the Kern County Sheriff's Office at (661) 861-3110 or contact Secret Witness at (661) 322-4040

hope they find your friends hate to see anyone lost in the desert,especially this time of year,but you know nothing ever good happens starting a ride at 2:30 a.m not a real good decision on their part!night riding you gotta be on your A game for sure! Hope it all has a good happy ending though.

I have ridden some really gnarly downhill mountain bike stuff with Dan at night. He's a competent night rider. No idea about Chris.

Yeah, not terribly well founded plan though. Not sure what's up with that.

• Like 1

The day ended with no news. They're gathering to decide what to do next.

This is not a good sign, praying they are just stuck somewhere and not hurt.

Hoping for the best.. I wish I lived closer and could do something to help. Damn this sucks, I hope they're alright.