Sign in to follow this  

230 trade

I recently moved up from a 230 and bought a 250x. Posted my 230 on kijiji.ca and found someone who wants to do a straight trade for his 2002 crf450. my 230 is a 2004. Does this sound like a good deal? Is the 450 more valuable?

he says it's his sons old 450. He moved on and the dad thinks the 450 is too much for him

Um?? If you think that A 450 is of the same value compared to a 230?? U might want to rethink that?? Only reason I can see that the 450 would be of similiar value is that it is almost dead or it is going to need a motor rebuild soon. If it was a 250mx then maybe, but the 230 is a good trail/camping bike for the novice. No where near the same as a 450mx as long as its in good condition!

Nope, not rethinking it. The XR100/XR200/CRF150/CRF230 type bikes hold their value ridiculously well. People know you cannot kill them, you ask someone older what their first bike was, and more often than not you'll hear "Honda XR" or they'll say their friend, relative, etc.. had a Honda XR that just wouldn't die.

A beat on, high-strung, low(relatively) reliability race bike is going to depreciate much faster than a little indestructible trail bike.

I still own an XR250 1994. I understand what you are saying, but trading a 450 for a 230 makes absolutely no sense?? Unless he has a younger kid or wife that wants to ride?? For a full size adult that know how to ride decently the 230 just isnt enough bike. But if the 450 is in good shape? Then you would be the better right??