Sign in to follow this  

780 Kit + big valve head installed!! video!!

So after all my whining about putting this motor together I finally did it..:bonk: It went together fairly simply with out too much trouble. The most difficult part was getting the second wrist pin in the piston but Im guessing with practice that could be easier...

Here's a video of it running unfortunately I wasn't able to ride it yet as its in the 20's today.. I let it get nice and hot and shut her down.. i was wondering if anyone has any thoughts what this popping sound im hearing also, it seems noisier than before. I look forward to giving a report after my first ride!!

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/2000dr650/2006dr650/?action=view&current=P1010558.mp4

Edited by 2000dr650

Wish mine was done. :bonk:

Is it the best thing for the NEW motor to let it sit and idle?? I would think that the new rings would need a hard run to seat them? Oiling is also poor at idle.

They recommend that the bike be driven in a series of hard bursts to seat the rings before the cross hatch on the cylinder i worn out.

This is the recommended break in procedure

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Edited by Riosdad

Wish mine was done. :bonk:

Is it the best thing for the NEW motor to let it sit and idle?? I would think that the new rings would need a hard run to seat them? Oiling is also poor at idle.

They recommend that the bike be driven in a series of hard bursts to seat the rings before the cross hatch on the cylinder i worn out.

This is the recommended braek in procedure

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Ya, prolly.. but it was a fast idle.. im hoping its fine

My experience is that the bigger the cam, the more noise. Use the cam manufacturer's spec for valve lash.

The cameras sometimes pickup or exaggerate frequencies by not having a flat response during record/playback.

The popping I wouldn't worry about and may change with brake-in.

Bruce

My experience is that the bigger the cam, the more noise. Use the cam manufacturer's spec for valve lash.

The cameras sometimes pickup or exaggerate frequencies by not having a flat response during record/playback.

The popping I wouldn't worry about and may change with brake-in.

Bruce

stock cam for the moment... ill check the lash again..1st time i ever did it..:bonk:

I'm looking forward to a ride report.:bonk:

Me too.. :smirk: Im out of the city till the 28th.. with my luck there will be 3 feet of snow on the ground when I get back

Me too.. :bonk: Im out of the city till the 28th.. with my luck there will be 3 feet of snow on the ground when I get back

in which case we shall be expecting a plow report, in 5th gear

I'm running that same pipe on my 03 DR650 and I love the way it sounds. It's got a bark to it that makes me grin every time I crack the throttle.

now all you need is to get a sumo front fender! and maybe a blue gas tank
While I was in the process of getting the bike together one night someone stole my tank and side panels.. the seat was already off safe in my basement..so, i picked up the black tank on eBay.. I don't hate it.. maybe if i had a black headlight shroud that would balance things out..I had one of those shorty front fenders on at one time, besides looking kinda goofy to me the thing is useless in the rain, water sprays right off the wheel into ur face..

Valves sound the same as my #190 grind cam does all the time. The pop sound sounds like it's a mild miss every once-in-a-while. Heck, i'll trade you my blue tank for your black one.

DSCF8606.jpg

Valves sound the same as my #190 grind cam does all the time. The pop sound sounds like it's a mild miss every once-in-a-while. Heck, i'll trade you my blue tank for your black one.

DSCF8606.jpg

I like what u did to ur bike, it looks slick. Thanks for the offer on the blue tank but Im gonna stick with the black for a while if decide otherwise ill let u know

I looked at this 780 kit on the www, but I'm not convinced that the durability thing is there. I have a mechicest dude up here in Canada who is spot on for this stuff. I was woundering if your kit is from the dude in Oragin USA ?. from Crashtestgordon

I looked at this 780 kit on the www, but I'm not convinced that the durability thing is there. I have a mechicest dude up here in Canada who is spot on for this stuff. I was woundering if your kit is from the dude in Oragin USA ?. from Crashtestgordon

what?