Sign in to follow this  

Michigan Baldwin camping? jeremey? Anyone?

Ok guys so it looks like our annual brothers outing will be starting their riding probably the white cloud area. we will be racing a car at South Haven, then move up from there - looking at 2nd - 3rd week in June.

so in looking at the VV maping stuff, it looks like it might be good to base out of the baldwin area for 3 or 4 days, and ride Big and Little O, timcup, white cloud etc. does that sound like a doable and fun trip? (after that we would move up north, maybe Tomahawk?.

anyway in the VV mapping it identifies what looks to be a private campground near Baldwin - North country camping. we will be in a popup and out of the back of a pickup. Anyone stay here? good bad? prices? cabins available? I can't seem to find em on the internet,

any help is appreciated

Carl Johansson lead idiot, frontman of the band of idiots!

I've never stayed there myself but it always seems busy. Has trail acres to little manistee .

Its right off of us37 so it may not be real quiet. May look at carrieville campground also.

North Country is convenient as they have a trail right from the campground to Little Manistee, so if your bike is not plated this trail is a plus. The campground is O.K. Water and electric is shared with multiple sites, so pack a "Y" adapter for your water, maybe one for your electric or bring an extra cord. Sites are pretty decent in size, I get my 24' camper in without any problem. There are a few seasonal sites, none of which are taken care of too well. There is a dump station on site, there used to be a couple of showers on site also but since I have my own shower I have not used nor looked for the ones at the campground, they used to be located in the office/convenient store. Couple of years ago the campground was up for auction and it sold but the deal fell through. Last two times I stayed there for a weekend, I never did see any owner or manager, store/office was never open, I just found a spot Friday night, went on with my weekend, and late Sunday while leaving I stuck a few dollars in an envelope and put it in the office door. In closing the place is great for trail access, might never get anybody to answer the phone if you call. Might try this place Ann's Putman Lake 1-231-745-2621 http://www.putmanlake.com/ Owner lives on the property and is putting a lot of money back into the place. New power and water to each site. It's located just north of Baldwin but south of the tails. I have stayed there twice, the owner will talk your ear off. Then there are always the State campgrounds and one national forest campground, pit toilets, hand water pump, almost cost as much as a private campground, honor system for payment. Carrieville campground is right on the Little Manistee trail, it's nice and clean and there is a gas station you can ride to just a few blocks away.

Derek

North Country isn't bad but it's off 37 and does get a lot of traffic noise. I prefer more secluded areas myself. My last trip there I camped (tent) at Old Grade campground. All primitave sites but very clean and quiet. It's still just off 37 but you drive a ways back in the woods before the sites start. It's real close to 7 mile staging on Little Manistee trail also. Lotsa trails in that area so you can kill a few days pretty easy.

Are you going to Gingerman in South Haven for a club race or something? I used to live just a couple miles from there, still only about 15 minutes away where I'm at now. Cool place.

North Country isn't bad but it's off 37 and does get a lot of traffic noise. I prefer more secluded areas myself. My last trip there I camped (tent) at Old Grade campground. All primitave sites but very clean and quiet. It's still just off 37 but you drive a ways back in the woods before the sites start. It's real close to 7 mile staging on Little Manistee trail also. Lotsa trails in that area so you can kill a few days pretty easy.

Are you going to Gingerman in South Haven for a club race or something? I used to live just a couple miles from there, still only about 15 minutes away where I'm at now. Cool place.

Yah, we are dunmb enough to run 4-6 races a year in the 24 hours of lemons races. usually california and the west, but since we have family in Michigan, and i stage one of my KTM's there, we are looking to run at Gingerman this year!

That is a nice quiet campground. Stayed there 2 years back. No trail acess unless your platted though. Probably have to trailer to the trails from there unless the orv ordinance covers over there.

I really liked it there when I stayed. The guy that runs it even offered to help me unload my bike. Not 100% sure about the ordinance, my bike is plated but I think M37 would be a no-no. I saw some quads on the side of the road by Mothers Cupboard and it looked like a sheriff was not to happy they were there.