Sign in to follow this  

Leaking Beta

I was leaning rather heavy on buying a gasser. Then i rode the beta and it was game over! 2010 beta 400. Simply amazing. My guestion is i noticed a leaking seal behind the front drive sprocket. Does anyone know if i can pry out the old seal and tap in a new one or do i have to split the cases?

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by yetiwalleye
misspelling

Try over at beta talk, Chip can tell you. I would be shocked if the seal could not be replaced from the outside. Any engineer who would do something like that would prob be six feet under before sunset.

I was leaning rather heavy on buying a gasser. Then i rode the beta and it was game over! 2010 beta 400. Simply amazing. My guestion is i noticed a leaking seal behind the front drive sprocket. Does anyone know if i can pry out the old seal and tap in a new one or do i have to split the cases?

Thanks,

Brian

Yes, replace from outside.

Yes, buy that beeyatch! :bonk:

Seriously? One person with a Beta engine (2010) and one person with a KTM RFS engine (2009) both mention a bad seal and you're asking if it's a "common issue"?

I've got a 2010 450RR and my seal is fine. Other than this post I don't remember reading any other posts on this site (or at Beta-talk.com) about seals going bad. I would say "no" it's not common. I'm sure if they're failing people will chime in. Let's wait and see.

2010 & a 2009 seals going bad?? Is this a comon issue?

Where we ride here locally all countershaft seals go bad no matter what you ride. I've changed my cr seals there several times. Grass and mud get pulled in there and it will get damaged. It's just a matter of time. I've never heard of any other Beta's needing seals there changed except for mine but I ride through tons of bush so it's kind of normal to me. ..plus it's been about 2 years now(for me) that's generally when it goes bad for riding around here.

You sound a bit nervous. That's not really a problem from what I know.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

CS seal leak is nothing new. Well documented and while I wouldn't call it a problem. It happens.

KTM RFS forums all have directions if not videos of how to remove it and install a new seal. 5 minutes is what it takes if you have all the tools and parts in hand.

Cause is commonly chain adjustment being too tight and mega mileage or powerwashing abuse.

The new Beta engine was designed by an engineer brought in from KTM directly and given a clean sheet of paper. Lot's of little details are probably exactly the same as a KTM for practical reasons.Think of the new Beta motor as a optimized hybrid version of the 2008-2011 XC4 and RF4 KTM motors as this engineer worked on both projects.

Seriously? One person with a Beta engine (2010) and one person with a KTM RFS engine (2009) both mention a bad seal and you're asking if it's a "common issue"?

I've got a 2010 450RR and my seal is fine. Other than this post I don't remember reading any other posts on this site (or at Beta-talk.com) about seals going bad. I would say "no" it's not common. I'm sure if they're failing people will chime in. Let's wait and see.

I wouldn't buy a Beta, too many problems with them. no dealers, no parts!

"Just a Husky w/ a shittier suspension"

CS seal leak is nothing new. Well documented and while I wouldn't call it a problem. It happens.

KTM RFS forums all have directions if not videos of how to remove it and install a new seal. 5 minutes is what it takes if you have all the tools and parts in hand.

Cause is commonly chain adjustment being too tight and mega mileage or powerwashing abuse.

The new Beta engine was designed by an engineer brought in from KTM directly and given a clean sheet of paper. Lot's of little details are probably exactly the same as a KTM for practical reasons.Think of the new Beta motor as a optimized hybrid version of the 2008-2011 XC4 and RF4 KTM motors as this engineer worked on both projects.

Didn't hear that about the engineer working on both motors. good to know:thumbsup:

Thanks again. When looking at it closer it appears to not be too big of deal, is there a "special tool" or should i just drill a couple holes in it and pull it out with a couple screws?

Thanks,

Brian

Thanks again. When looking at it closer it appears to not be too big of deal, is there a "special tool" or should i just drill a couple holes in it and pull it out with a couple screws?

Thanks,

Brian

I really don't know what the new Beta's look like there. I figure it's just like others. I use a screwdriver and a small hook ?. That's not the official way for sure.. as long as I don't score the surface. I kind of forget now what tools I used exactly . .. I didn't think it was a big deal when I did it. It's just take of the countershaft sprocket and take off the seal right? ..no weird freaky special Beta fastener or anything ...I don't think....

Didn't hear that about the engineer working on both motors. good to know:thumbsup:

Interesting, I didn't know about them both using the same engineer either. Anyone ever check to see if the 2010+ Beta engine uses the same oil filter as the 2008-2011 XC4 KTM engine?

I forgot I was in the Beta forum. No ones thinks out side the cave! I was interested in knowing more if the frame or user's maintance was an issue. Two different motors, in the same chassis?? Just like any other bikes, there are some issues that need to keep an eye on. Is this one of them but I guess it's not. Thanks Chasejj this was what I was looking for.

In 30 years of riding I have yet to have a CS seal leak. Only person I know that had one was a KTM rider that caked mud by the CS and tore the seal.

Edited by weantright

I wouldn't buy a Beta, too many problems with them. no dealers, no parts!

"Just a Husky w/ a shittier suspension"

Yep, I took your recommendation and rode a Beta this summer. Your rude comment is incorrect by far! I can understand why you love your Beta, you came from a DRZ. Many potential buyers are interested in the bike, issues, items to watch for and what is needed to keep the bike in tip top shape. I would order a Beta if the bike I rode was OMG good, but it wasn’t.

Yep, I took your recommendation and rode a Beta this summer. Your rude comment is incorrect by far! I can understand why you love your Beta, you came from a DRZ. Many potential buyers are interested in the bike, issues, items to watch for and what is needed to keep the bike in tip top shape. I would order a Beta if the bike I rode was OMG good, but it wasn’t.

So then, apart from being a joy sucker, whats your interest in these Beta threads? Just asking.

My experience my first time riding it was "OMG good," and my new experience with my supermoto was OMG Good... Can't beat the experience. Really.

Maybe you just got one that wasn't kept up or had something wrong with it or something like that.

And HappySeal?! Was that sarcasm?

If so, lets not get rude on here. I hate drama You can take it from 2 perspectives:

1)he's wanting info.

2)he's being a jerk about the bike you love.

Just relax and assume the first option. I think that's what he wants.

If not, what!? Since when are you not a huge Beta supporter?

My experience my first time riding it was "OMG good," and my new experience with my supermoto was OMG Good... Can't beat the experience. Really.

Maybe you just got one that wasn't kept up or had something wrong with it or something like that.

And HappySeal?! Was that sarcasm?

If so, lets not get rude on here. I hate drama You can take it from 2 perspectives:

1)he's wanting info.

2)he's being a jerk about the bike you love.

Just relax and assume the first option. I think that's what he wants.

If not, what!? Since when are you not a huge Beta supporter?

Hey I'm not into drama either but I think we all know where we are and what's going on. That sarcasm(jabbing) isn't any big deal at this stage of the game. We are on a Beta thread where everyone here seems to love their bike and one guy says he doesn't like the bike yet still is asking about it.. for a while now. No big deal. I think everyone has been doing their best to answer whoever asks any questions about Beta or any bike for that matter. Would you go to a Husky forum and hang out that long if you rode a husky and didn't think it was that great?... Maybe it's like how I was before I bought my Beta. I was wondering why everyone drank the Beta koolaid and loved their bike so much.. I just never rode a Beta beforehand.