Sign in to follow this  

KTM WP (Works) All-Aluminum Forks

So I was reading an article recently about the forks on Dungey's bike (as well as a ride test from MXA on Short's 350 SXF) being all aluminum. The only steel component being the fork springs.

Using aluminum is a pretty innovative way of shedding weight on the forks. However, I can't imagine how often they have to replace components since fatigue is an issue with aluminum.

The tuning aspect has to be quite a bit different too since the mechanical properties of Aluminum are quite a bit different from steel. So the aluminum shims would not be as stiff as a comparable steel shim.

Also, the fork legs. I'm curious as to what kind of coating they use...I am guessing Kashima, since DLC (to my knowledge) doesn't adhere to aluminum well.

I would agree, its probably a Kashima coating.

I also don't think MXA was completely accurate, there is no way those forks are all aluminum, the bushings are probably copper or some variant and the shims are still steel most likely. There is no way they're using aluminum shims, that would be pointless to shave weight there as they don't weigh anything.

From what I've been told, the works forks are a cone valve, but otherwise, they aren't very different then the normal forks, besides the coatings and weight-loss material's. Those in of themselves are what makes the factory forks more expensive.

The point about burning through forks quicker is very important. The teams do re-build the forks on a regular basis, so they can keep tabs on things like bushings and replace parts that might bend during a race, like the bottom tubes. Sadly, I don't know the statistics of fork tube bending in motocross/supercross, but I wouldn't doubt it happens more regularly then they let on.

You can chrome aluminum and once thats done, the DLC would stick to the chrome. And there are some T7 an T8 alloys out there that are so friggin hard you'd think you were working with high carbon steel.

I got a scrap piece of T8 to make some cavitation plates for my boat by accident. I couldnt hardy cut the stuff and drilling it was even worse. It was hard and slick as hell. It'd knock the edge off a high speed drill bit almost instantly and after the edge was gone the bit just polished the bottom of the damn hole I was trying to drill. I ended up having to use carbide drills to drill the damn bolt holes. And it was heavy!