Sign in to follow this  

Bike sitting for 9 months, does it need a service?

Hello TTers! after losing my license for 9 months my bike has been sitting inside the house for this time. Next week ill be getting my license back and im wondering if the bike needs a service as by the manaul it says to service it every 5000kms or 6 months, which ever comes first. Bike has 1400kms on the clock, had its first service (1000kms) around 9 months ago. Its been started every few weeks and the past few months ive given it a ride around the block every few weeks and kept the battery disconnected.

If I dont need a service should I do any maintenace? I was thinking possibly an oil change with filter and clean the chain/lube it up and hopefully thats its because thats all I know what to do. :bonk: Anyhelp would be great.

Thanks, Jerome

The problem is I have no idea how to service it otherwise I would of just done it. My mechanic is on holidays until mid January so I dont know, could take it to the dealer or try it myself: / Looking through my clymer book I guess I cant do much harm with abit of grease. Ill have some questions once I go through it quickly.

I remember reading your post when you lost your license. Welcome back

Definitely change the oil, oil filter, (possible change the fuel too as it can go off).

Take it for a quick blast to heat up the chain then clean and lube that also.

Oil changes are simple just make sure you buy new crush washers (they are cheap, as is the oil filter)

Lubricate and other moving part and she'll be all sorted.

Trust me if I can do it any one can, just use some decent quality sockets.

Ok thanks for the help. I had a quick look and unfortunately the clymer manaul doesnt say where to lube except for the cables. With the cables can I use wd40 or do I have to use cable lube, will the dealer have a cable lubricator? or ill just grab one off ebay. With greasing stuff what type of grease should I use and where do I put it. so far I got steering head , swingarm , linkages etc

Ill also do the brake/clutch lever holder, side stand, break pedel and anything else that moves I guess. In the owners manaul it says to use motor oil on the brake/clutch level holders, is that correct?

Personally I wouldn't bother with cable lube just WD40, as for using motor oil, no problem. Remember you are only lubricating for smooth action and corrosion so that will be fine.

As for grease IMO I think it will be ok however it cant hurt to do anything that moves e.g. swing arm linkage etc..

It has only been 9 months remember so don't stress, fresh oil and ride.

Within the speed limit of course :-)

Thanks I had a quick look in the faq and found the info I need but I dont have the tools like big sockets and a torque wrench so ill just do the oil, filter, chain and the cables at the moment as thats all I feel confident in doing. Ill have to update my toolbox and do some digging in the faq/forums after christmas when I have alittle more time as I definately want to learn how to do everything myself. Thanks for the help. :bonk:

if your bike has been sitting for 9 months and you didnt drain the fuel out of the carb and tank you will have to remove the carb and clean it with carb cleaner and replace the gas in the tank

if your bike has been sitting for 9 months and you didnt drain the fuel out of the carb and tank you will have to remove the carb and clean it with carb cleaner and replace the gas in the tank

even if its been started and left to idle for 10 mins every few weeks. Also for the past 3 months I've rode it around the block around 15kms 4 times. Bike runs fine.

Thanks chooken ill make sure its Teflon based

You'll probably be ok to just get on it and ride, since you said it's been inside all that time. No hot and cold cycles to worry about moisture in the crank case or fuel tank. The least I'd do it put carb cleaner in the tank and ride. The most would be change oil and drain fuel tank and carb bowl of fuel. There is a drain screw on the bottom of the bowl. Put in a bottle of carb cleaner and new gas and go ride.

Interestingly I have never had a Carb Jet clogging issue with any of my bikes, some of which have sat for several months...

because of this I am thinking that the fuel for the Australian market has less additives...??

Interestingly I have never had a Carb Jet clogging issue with any of my bikes, some of which have sat for several months...

because of this I am thinking that the fuel for the Australian market has less additives...??

I think it safe to say it' the ethanol component which cause the most dramas.

As we can choose not to use ethanol fuels in our bike we don't have the issues of clogged up jets.

Im guessing you all use 98 octane fuel or pulp at minimum, id hope it was clean fuel for the price they charge. I dont think im going to worry about thew carb cleaner as I need a reason to upgrade to a fcr if its blocks up. Ill just drain the float bowl and fuel tank into the jerry can for the mower and refuel.