Sign in to follow this  

97 cr250r over heating

last few rides my bike would spit coolant out over flow tube when it would get hot. then last ride it start get water in the engine and u could smell it(smoking badly). i was having to push start the bike when its always started first kick. any ideas befor ii tear it down?

if it just started to boil over recently for no apparent reason, you were probably pressurizing the cooling system with the combustion pressure leaking into that system because of a bad gasket.are you getting water in the cases? if thats the case, then you also have a bad water pump seal. if you are getting coolant in the cyl. the head and base gaskets are the best places to start looking.

its getting water in the cyl. i pulled it down. there was water there and in the fatty pipe so i guess i and just going to do a base, head and the water pump shaft seal even tho it may not need the water pump seal. i will get it done while i am dirty when my gassket kit gets here. thanks for all the help

he meant cases if the tranny oil is brown/mocca color or white.

if so. then i suggest you rebuild yoiur topend with new gaskets and run the bike. change the tranny oil a couple of times to check if the water pump/oil seal is messed up.

btw. use good anti freeze. i had what seemed to be a waterpump seal gone leaky and i put good AF and it somewhat "lubricated" the seal and now its good again.