Sign in to follow this  

how long to get back riding after a talus fracture?

I'm 3 months 11 days out of surgery. Started walking (in a boot) Dec. 8th and am in the boot till Jan. 8th then go to a normal shoe. My ankle feels great, almost full ROM. On dec. 13th I even walked down a trail with my dog but I had to cut the trip short though, it was a little soon to walk that much on uneven ground and distance. But anyways, how long were you guys off the bike for?

When searching the net all I ever see is bad outcomes for talus fractures, I know there have to be some good cases out there.

Edited by joshb

Bad outcomes are common in this fracture. Was a joint, ankle, subtalar, talonavicular, dislocated also. When that happens, the prognosis worsens. Most still come out ok, but this fracture, as no expected time to heal out there.

Well it will take a minimum of 8 to 12 weeks of protection from weight. The time may be longer, in more significant injuries.

i've fractured both the left and right talus bones in my ankles. the left healed nicely and i was back snowboarding at 12 weeks to the day after surgery. the right ankle was a nastier fracture coupled with a complete rupture of the perronial brevis tendon. blew that bitch right off the attatchment point. this one didn't heal so good. it essentially ended me rock, mountain, and ice climbing. fortunately i can stand on pegs all day so i've just shifted all my recreational efforts to riding instead of splitting it between riding and climbing.

it's been almost 6 years since i did the right and it still bothers me on daily basis but what can you do.

i guess i'm a firm believer in re-inforcing my inferior stock suspension with aftermarket calcification. good times. heal well and do your P.T.