Sign in to follow this  

ktm 200 flywheels

alright ive been looking at different changes ktm 200 owners have done to their bikes. i often notice mention of what flywheel they are running. 2k-3, 2k-2, flywheel weight, etc. what does all this mean? is it all just weight. id like to get a more sx like feel out of my 200mxc. i already have a 200sx fatty and an fmf tc2 on the bike. is there an oem flywheel that would be lighter to give the bike more snap? would the stock sx flywheel do this? my use for the bike is primarily trails. an occasional motocross track. i will be running the bike in the ama d37 grand prix big six series. any help is much appreciated.

It wasn't long ago I didn't know the difference. But, it is quit simple and I thank Joe for explaining it. If you look at a parts fiche of one of the bikes, the FW's will be on there. All the big bike 2 strokes share these 3. This refers to nonEstart bikes only. But, here ya go:

2k1 is the lightest FW, the 2k2 is 9 oz heavier and uses the same stator so they can be interchanged. The 2k3 is the heaviest, but only about 1.5 oz heavier than the 2k2. The 2k3 has a more powerful stator for running lights and is not interchangeable with the other 2.

The 200SX's actually ran the 2k3.

If you want a revvier bike, you can go to the 2k1 if your bike came with the 2k2. AND, I have a 2k1 with 9 oz FWW if you are interested. I am going to a 2k2 + 9oz FWW for my bike. The 2k1 + 9 oz would give you a stock 2k2 weight setup if you need it and a lighter setup if you want to go to the track or something.

Let me know and hope this helps.

It wasn't long ago I didn't know the difference. But, it is quit simple and I thank Joe for explaining it. If you look at a parts fiche of one of the bikes, the FW's will be on there. All the big bike 2 strokes share these 3. This refers to nonEstart bikes only. But, here ya go:

2k1 is the lightest FW, the 2k2 is 9 oz heavier and uses the same stator so they can be interchanged. The 2k3 is the heaviest, but only about 1.5 oz heavier than the 2k2. The 2k3 has a more powerful stator for running lights and is not interchangeable with the other 2.

The 200SX's actually ran the 2k3.

If you want a revvier bike, you can go to the 2k1 if your bike came with the 2k2. AND, I have a 2k1 with 9 oz FWW if you are interested. I am going to a 2k2 + 9oz FWW for my bike. The 2k1 + 9 oz would give you a stock 2k2 weight setup if you need it and a lighter setup if you want to go to the track or something.

Let me know and hope this helps.

Gmoss,

on this same topic (but different bikes) does that mean my '06 200xc-w has the 2k3?

Gmoss,

on this same topic (but different bikes) does that mean my '06 200xc-w has the 2k3?

I don't think so, it should say in your manual. I THINK the 2k3 started in 2008 on the 200, but not positive. I believe your 06 was setup like my 05, 38 carb and 2k2 FW.

I don't think so, it should say in your manual. I THINK the 2k3 started in 2008 on the 200, but not positive. I believe your 06 was setup like my 05, 38 carb and 2k2 FW.

It does seem to rev quickly, even with the relatively heavier FW.

Cool I'll check my manual, thanks.

It does seem to rev quickly, even with the relatively heavier FW.

Cool I'll check my manual, thanks.

or, just pop the cover and give a look. maybe post a pic.

I can post pics of the 2k1 and 2k2 this eve. I am sure there are pics of the 2k3 floating around that Joe has posted.

well as i understand it, the 200mxc shares the same engine layout as the esc, which has lights, and the mxc is wired for lights if you want them. so i would guess it has the 2k-3?

Pull the cover. My 05 was the same and had the 2k2. I think you will find the same.

Not always but more often than not:

2k1 you see on the SX models

2k2 you see on the MXC models

2k3 you see on the EXC models

Trailtech stator and flywheel (-4 oz) side by side with a 2k3

s-8311a+and+2k3-2.JPG

s-8311a+and+2k3.JPG

OEM 2k3 on the bike with a 2k1

2k3+and+2k1.JPG

SEM you might run into on some older KTM bikes. Great power output but poor reliability.

sem-2.JPG

DSCN9881.JPG

DSCN9882.JPG

There are a bunch of pics here and you can get larger images if needed: http://www.tripleateam.com/dirt/v/usergallery/mclaughlin/joe/headlights

Joe........

Gmoss,

2006 200 XCW shows it came with a 2k2.

Joe.......

well as i understand it, the 200mxc shares the same engine layout as the esc, which has lights, and the mxc is wired for lights if you want them. so i would guess it has the 2k-3?

What year and model is your 200? From 2000 up the engine is basically the same with minor differences. Say a 2000 200 MXC and a 2000 EXC,, they are the same engine. The 2k2 is a great flywheel. The 2k3 is a little on the heavy side. My favorite to date is the Trailtech -4oz, that is 4 oz lighter than the 2k3. If you do not need a lot of power for lights the 2k2 is a great option. It is about time for me to sell off my Trailtech stuff from 2011 to make room for the 2012 goodies;)

Joe........

2K3 came stock on 200SX....some said it was too heavy and broke crankshaft ends....I never saw it actualy happen.

I think all 200EXC,MXC,XC&-Ws came with 2K2

the 2K2 is great(IMO) unless you want more lighting power

the TT is some good stuff.....used it on a bunch of RFS bikes......

What year and model is your 200? From 2000 up the engine is basically the same with minor differences. Say a 2000 200 MXC and a 2000 EXC,, they are the same engine. The 2k2 is a great flywheel. The 2k3 is a little on the heavy side. My favorite to date is the Trailtech -4oz, that is 4 oz lighter than the 2k3. If you do not need a lot of power for lights the 2k2 is a great option. It is about time for me to sell off my Trailtech stuff from 2011 to make room for the 2012 goodies;)

Joe........

mine is a 2003. im looking for more snap, so lightweight is where im trying to go here

2K3 came stock on 200SX....some said it was too heavy and broke crankshaft ends....I never saw it actualy happen.

I think all 200EXC,MXC,XC&-Ws came with 2K2

the 2K2 is great(IMO) unless you want more lighting power

the TT is some good stuff.....used it on a bunch of RFS bikes......

I have a 200 crank that snapped off;) I don't think it is an issue with all cranks just a range of years, 2000, 01, 02, 03, 04 ish time frame. No real facts behind that. I just know that a 2k3 has worked just fine on 125. 144/150, and 200 bikes 07+. I would be interested to hear of anyone has had an 07+ small bore snap the crank off on the flywheel side.

Joe......

ive got a 200sx conversion from a 08125sx but im still running the stock 125 fww. which do i need to go to?

Depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Edited by gmoss357

Will the 2k3 fw fit on the 2k2 coil or is it better/cheeper to get the stelthey(sp). I would like to try a little ext weight.