Sign in to follow this  

questions about 95 rmx250

hey guys, i toying with the idea of trading my 86 xr250 off for a 95 rmx250. im just trying to gain alil more knowledge about the rmx to better my decision. ive been around bikes all my life but have nevewr owned nor riden a Rmx. so if some of you guys could shoot me some opinions and thoughts i'd be grateful.

i've attached the best pics of bikes that i have so atleast you can get an idea. thanks, tony

xr2.jpgxr1.jpg

rmx2502.jpg

rmx2501.jpg

I've got a 97 rmx that i bought 2years ago. Bike needed some work, had to replace all swingarm and suspension bearings, new piston and rings. Took me a while to get the jetting sorted out ,but now she runs great . Plenty of low end grunt along with the on the pipe two stroke power.

Yours looks like its in decent shape, I would go for it. They are fun bikes and great trailbikes and you will get a big increase in power over your XR. i don't think you will regret it.

s

Airbus, do you feel that this bike is fairly competitive (more so than the 86 xr) in a harescramble scenario?

pm sent.

hey c'mon fellas, hey a brother out here!!! shoot me some opinions on the RMX250 whether they be good or bad.

Airbus, do you feel that this bike is fairly competitive (more so than the 86 xr) in a harescramble scenario?

pm sent.

hey c'mon fellas, hey a brother out here!!! shoot me some opinions on the RMX250 whether they be good or bad.

The RMX is 10x the bike the XR is. It will turn better, suspension is much much better, much more powerfull,and in the long run will likely be cheaper to own. If I raced, I wouldn't hesitate to race the RMX. I have a '93 RMX, I'm getting buried with it, that's how much I like it!

What I really like about the RMX is it's ability to lug along 1-2 gears high. I ride mostly single track, and generally ride a gear or two high, for a race ready two stroke, it's easy to ride. With a large desert tank I can ride 100+ miles before hitting reserve.

To get it race ready, you'll need the RM head gasket.

I would say very good if not excellent, I have had my 96 RMX for 6 years now and love it. I ride mostly single track and desert and trails and the bike handles all that I throw at it. Not sure how competitive it would be at HS with some of the new stuff but in the hands of an experienced rider I would say it will hold it's own.

Did I say I really love my RMX, I really do..:bonk:

RMX ~ Positive side: The RMX is better performing than the XR in every way. It's lighter, more powerful on top but will lug just a well as the XR on the bottom. It should start easier, handle better and have far surperior brakes.

RMX ~ In the middle: You will have to learn how to mix gas, the XR does have a lower seat height and the RMX does not idle as well as your XR.

RMX ~ Down side compared to an XR: Performance wise I can't think of one, although in some cases it is possible that the XR "might be" easier to sell than the RMX, but that will depend on your area.

Trade now before he changes his mind!!

And for what it's worth, I would race that RMX in a Hare Scramble today and if I didn't place I would know that it wasn't the bikes fault...

The RMX is 10x the bike the XR is. It will turn better, suspension is much much better, much more powerfull,and in the long run will likely be cheaper to own. If I raced, I wouldn't hesitate to race the RMX. I have a '93 RMX, I'm getting buried with it, that's how much I like it!

What I really like about the RMX is it's ability to lug along 1-2 gears high. I ride mostly single track, and generally ride a gear or two high, for a race ready two stroke, it's easy to ride. With a large desert tank I can ride 100+ miles before hitting reserve.

To get it race ready, you'll need the RM head gasket.

what does the RM headgasket do for it???

alot of searches i do on the rmx comes back with issues with the powervalves. anybody had probs with them?

what does the RM headgasket do for it???

alot of searches i do on the rmx comes back with issues with the powervalves. anybody had probs with them?

The RM headgasket increases the compression. I have the RM gasket and it runs fine on 91 octane gas.

The PV issue is wear and lack of maintenace I think. If I bought the bike, I'd be inclined to pull the top end, make sure the piston and ring is OK, and check the PV mechanism.

The RM headgasket increases the compression. I have the RM gasket and it runs fine on 91 octane gas.

The PV issue is wear and lack of maintenace I think. If I bought the bike, I'd be inclined to pull the top end, make sure the piston and ring is OK, and check the PV mechanism.

when you mention "lack of maintemance of the PV" are you meaning, removing and cleaning? or is there an adjustment on these?

when you mention "lack of maintemance of the PV" are you meaning, removing and cleaning? or is there an adjustment on these?

There is a "setting" when it's built or after it's been serviced (I don't remember right now). As for maintenance, when ever you replace the piston you just need to go the extra mile and pull the PV apart, clean everything up (carb cleaner works great!). And then note any wear items. Replace anything that doesn't look like it's going to last another 3 years or so and reassemble.

I did own a '96 RMX about 3 years ago, I only sold it because I just didn't ride it that much (at the time I also owned a '08 RMZ450). While I owned it the PV did have a problem, but it was the fault of the previous owner. The RMX has a 3 piece PV and that's what gives it all that torque (it opens in stages). The PO decided to turn it into an RM by removing part of the PV (the center slide) and that's what caused mine to fail.

In short, there's nothing wrong with the RMX's PV. Running a good smokeless pre-mix oil will be helpful and normal maintenance is all that you'll need to get many more years of loyal service out of it.