Sign in to follow this  

KTM sx 50 (2007) Throttle Limiter??

Hi,

I would like to know if someone already done this mod?

Throttle limiter like PW 50 in the SX 50(An adjustable throttle stop screw lets the adult in charge gradually increase speed as skills improve)

Thank you and best regards,

fLAVIO :bonk:

Flavio,

No such luck no a screw in type throttle adjuster. There are several routes that you can go to tame the beast though.

1. put mini adventure springs in the clutch. This will cause a lower engagement speed and not allow the bike to come up on the pipe thus slowing it down off the line.

2. A washer in the exhast pipe. I have never done this but have heard of it being done.

3. I have seen in the past a company that makes a stop that goes into the top of the throttle body stopping the slide from opening. You would have to search this one it's been years since I have seen it on-line.

If your child is coming off of a PW and you are worried about the bigger power of the KTM, my best suggestion would be to go with the springs. It tames it down without doing to much to hamper power. Plus your kid will be used to the power of the KTM in no time and will want more. Hope this helps.

well... my son is 4, almost 5 (in february) and 116cm height... and a true bike fan.

Ride is pedal bike with no training wheels... almost 6 months now...

And the Sx50.. will be is 1st motorbike.

And fitting a PW50 throttle in the SX handlebar... will it work? (adjustable screw like on the PW)

Thank you and best regards from Portugal.

fLAVIO

well... my son is 4, almost 5 (in february) and 116cm height... and a true bike fan.

Ride is pedal bike with no training wheels... almost 6 months now...

And the Sx50.. will be is 1st motorbike.

And fitting a PW50 throttle in the SX handlebar... will it work? (adjustable screw like on the PW)

Thank you and best regards from Portugal.

fLAVIO

Flavio,

50sx is a little bit for a 4 year old, but definately possible. I suppose that a PW throttle is possible, haven't heard or seen it done. But if you can think it, it can be done. If it is his first ride you have to do something to tame the "hit" down or it will scare him and he will not want to ride it.

I still recommend you put the mini adventure springs in it even if you do put a PW throttle on it. You can limit the throttle but the clutch will engage late and it will not run right the way you are planning on limiting the throttle. Lots of info on ktm talk on limiting/taming these bike down.

if I did understand well... with the Mini Adventure springs... the clutch will engage sooner, and don t rev so high to engage and scare him with the engine reving higher...

For "me".. I think that with only 20% of the throttle he will gain confidence.. and with experience I would "loose" some more powerband on the throttle.

:bonk: ehehehehe

if I did understand well... with the Mini Adventure springs... the clutch will engage sooner, and don t rev so high to engage and scare him with the engine reving higher...

For "me".. I think that with only 20% of the throttle he will gain confidence.. and with experience I would "loose" some more powerband on the throttle.

:bonk: ehehehehe

Yes you are correct. A 50SX has a washer stack that needs higher revs in order for the clutch to engage, thus making the engine come up on the pipe (powerband) and making it want to take off.

By putting the springs in the clutch you are getting the clutch to engage more early thus putting the transmission to work and making the engine have to push the bike not letting the revs build as quickly. Think of it as lower revs get you going vs having to grab alot of throttle to get the bike to go.

In your case you don't want your son to get on a bike that wants to rev high to go, he will be scared of the speed/noise. You want to make the noise "cool" at low speed so he gets used to the bike and the way it acts before you introduce the velocity. Hope this all makes sense. Either way you are going to get good at changing clutch stacks in the future.

**Note**= Putting in the springs will make your clutch last longer and require ALOT less maintenance on the bike in that area.

Your 07SX is it a liquid cooled or air cooled???

Does it have an oil injector???

Liquid Cooled certain! :bonk:

(front and rear disc brake)

"oil injector"??? (a premix/autolube) is that you are asking?

If is that you are asking, it does have autolube. the mix has to be done manually.

Liquid Cooled certain! :bonk:

(front and rear disc brake)

"oil injector"??? (a premix/autolube) is that you are asking?

If is that you are asking, it does have autolube. the mix has to be done manually.

No I was making sure. Some year SX's were air cooled with an oil injector but I am now thinking it was the mini or junior can't remember. You can do more with the air cooled to slow them down (make them a full mini adventure). On a liquid cooled SX its pretty much the mini adventure springs and a washer in the exhaust to slow it down. The liquid cooled model makes alot more power than the air cooled for sure.

get a tomar and a few disks. the tomar you can adjust how hard it hits and the engagement point.