Sign in to follow this  

Windy day hiccups

I’ve been wanting to post this since the first windy ride I’ve been on my bike but did not want you to say I’m nuts. The weather warmed way up yesterday and I went for a ride. It was very windy as it often is in Iowa with no trees to slow down the gusts. Anytime I head into the wind at a steady pace the bike will hiccup when a large gust hits me. Or if the wind is just blowing like crazy it will hiccup often. Never on calm or normal days does this happen. If I blip the throttle the bike responds as it should. It’s really just an annoyance issue really. Is it possible that somehow there is wind channel that forces air into the air box and pressurizes it? Almost like a brief force feeding which then causes the bike to go lean? Anyone else ever experience this?

Is your airbox stock or has it had the top cut out? I've heard of this happening on bikes that have had the top cut out of the airbox.

That is just one of many issues with a vacuum controlled slide.... and yes, it gets worse when the air box is opened up... and it really gets bad if you drill another hole in your slide for that "extra throttle response" because it also provides "extra surging response" to environmental pressure changes. Allow the BST to become a paper weight at your earliest convenience. :bonk:

Thanks for the responses. I bought the bike with the air box mod already done. I don’t recall any sides of the box cut but the top was drilled. Just curious does the pumper carb get decent gas mileage? It’s not currently in my price range so I will have to live with the hiccups.

What Rob said! Save your pennies and get a pumper carb they are worth the extra $$. You can only do so much with the BST. I have a TM40 and I get around 47-48 mpg with some pretty heavy throttle twisting. The BST got about 1-2 mpg more and wasn't near as fun.