Sign in to follow this  

Washington Tayuha Logging

We rode Tayuya last Saturday, parked at the Mission Creek staging area and took the Mission Creek trail toward Overland. We discovered a huge area right on the Mission Creek trial that is being logged, a huge perimeter of trees are down and it would have taken a major effort to pick the trial back up at the other end. The still had plenty of heavy equipment parked out there, so I would assume they plan to do more logging.

Anyone know what areas are going to be cleared, and what this means to the future of riding at Tayuya? I'm totally bummed out, this has been my favorite riding place for years, and it's being ruined.

Anyone know what areas are going to be cleared, and what this means to the future of riding at Tayuya? I'm totally bummed out, this has been my favorite riding place for years, and it's being ruined.

Tahuya is a working forest, resource extraction will happen.

The DNR has a legal obligation to maximize the value for the trust beneficiaries and that typically means logging.

Remember that the State got most of this forest after the private timber companies clearcut everything they could and then abondoned it instead of paying property taxes.

Most of the trails out there have been effected by clear cutting at one time or another. Just be patient it will open back up before too long.

Yep. Riding in the cuts is just as fun as riding in the trees. In my opinion, it also kind of eliminates the environmental objections to offroad riding out there. I mean, how can someone complain about a dirt bike leaving the trail and damaging a bush when the whole area could be clearcut the following week?

Yep. Riding in the cuts is just as fun as riding in the trees. In my opinion, it also kind of eliminates the environmental objections to offroad riding out there. I mean, how can someone complain about a dirt bike leaving the trail and damaging a bush when the whole area could be clearcut the following week?

Hopefully it's not not going to be as bad as Walker, but I would brace myself just incase:foul:

Hopefully it's not not going to be as bad as Walker, but I would brace myself just incase:foul:

Honestly, I think we lose as many trails out there to overgrowth and underuse as we do to logging. There is a lot of potential in Tahuya.

In my opinion, it also kind of eliminates the environmental objections to offroad riding out there. I mean, how can someone complain about a dirt bike leaving the trail and damaging a bush when the whole area could be clearcut the following week?

That would be common sense, but that does not always prevail.

Ever with riding through clear cuts, water running from trails into streams will get us in trouble.

Take a look as you ride around at the different sizes of trees you go thru, and you’ll realize you are constantly riding through areas that have been logged at some point. Once this is done being logged, you’ll probably see a new trail through it on the next Sparkplug or Big Bear enduro. That is how almost all of our single track is replaced, BCMC or Cascade works with the DNR and puts back new trail, usually something even better than what was there before. Then it is good to go for the next 60 or so years.

You’ll find logging currently on Hurd by Dog Nose; that sale is called Barbless, the logging off of Used Car road is scheduled to be complete by the end of this month, and the sale by Sandhill called Three Bears should be starting up soon.

Some new sales coming up for bid soon and will probably be sold in 2013 are off of Stimson, and one by Howell Lake and another off of Jones Road.

I use to hate the clearcut trails, but as the forest keeps getting busier and busier and we get better at building trails, the clearcuts can be a blast and until the trees get too big you have a much better view of oncoming bikes and can ride with a lot more confidence.

So don’t worry, the Tahuya isn’t getting clearcut and you will always have some great trails to ride out there.

saw some new road extension and new no trespassing signs out by the pink bunny trail Sat. guess that's slated for logging too

saw some new road extension and new no trespassing signs out by the pink bunny trail Sat. guess that's slated for logging too

Doh!....i was gonna' ask you about those signs.

Joe