Sign in to follow this  

O-Ring Chain or Not

I am going to have to replace the chain and sprockets on my son's KX 125 soon. My RMZ 450 has the stock sprockets and D.I.D O-Ring chain with 30 hrs. on it and hardly any signs of wear on the sprockets and I think I had to adjust the chain 2 times since I've had it. I have heard that the o-ring chains put a lot of friction on bike, and for mx a non o-ring is a better choice. I'm also considering a steel sprocket vs. aluminum. The Renthal it has now looks pretty and i'm sure much lighter but wears fast. What is everyone else doing for MX.

your not getting replies because there are about 100 threads on this very topic. Reading to keep you busy for days, literally. do a search.

Any hp loss due to the added "friction" of a 0-ring chain is not measureable on a dyno.. It's that small. o-ring chains last longer. Steel sprockets last longer, but is heavier (all front spks are steel).

Deff. go with an O-ring chain...no measureable power loss. Last SOOO much longer. Also I recommend a supersprox, or Ironman steel rear sprocket. They are both nearly as light as aluminum. Supersprox looks a bit nicer and is cheaper, Ironman is a bit lighter and lasts longer. I run Ironman sprockets as they almost never wear...even compared to regular steel sprockets.

Deff. go with an O-ring chain...no measureable power loss. Last SOOO much longer. Also I recommend a supersprox, or Ironman steel rear sprocket. They are both nearly as light as aluminum. Supersprox looks a bit nicer and is cheaper, Ironman is a bit lighter and lasts longer. I run Ironman sprockets as they almost never wear...even compared to regular steel sprockets.

IM and SS are light everywhere except the pocket book, with proper maint (don't keep running the chain after it is worn out) they will last through several chains and a whole lot of hrs. So if they outlast 3 or 4 cheap steel and even more aluminum ones they are actually cost effective.

Guys on 450's are getting 100's of hrs on Iron man rear sprockets.

I always buy o-ring chains, they last many times longer.

What wears out sprokets is is a stretched out chain. when new, the links are spaced out exactly the same distance as the teeth. when the chain is stretched, all the pressure is on the last tooth, the others have slack.

The way I judge it is to pull the chain at the back of the rear sprocket (3oclock). if you can lift it off of the sprocket (more that about a 1/16"), I'd replace it.

I am going to have to replace the chain and sprockets on my son's KX 125 soon. My RMZ 450 has the stock sprockets and D.I.D O-Ring chain with 30 hrs. on it and hardly any signs of wear on the sprockets and I think I had to adjust the chain 2 times since I've had it. I have heard that the o-ring chains put a lot of friction on bike, and for mx a non o-ring is a better choice. I'm also considering a steel sprocket vs. aluminum. The Renthal it has now looks pretty and i'm sure much lighter but wears fast. What is everyone else doing for MX.

:ride:Always use o-ring chains on our quads & non-o-ring chains on our bikes. To each his own, so do what you want to do...you get as many opinions on this topic as the a$$holes that respond. :bonk:

I used to run non-o-ring chains and aluminum sprockets but I got tired of replacing them every 20-30 hours so I just ordered me an o-ring chain and steel sprocket to see how they will work.

Buy the o-ring and steel combo and then with the money you saved by not having to replace a non-o-ring/aluminum combo as often, repack your silencer or freshen your clutch plates or piston :bonk:

I've always used o-ring chains cuz I'd rather have the durability than a slight reduction in friction. However, I just did a 105sx build up and with that small bike I was worried an o-ring might cause noticeable drag. With the stock chain the bike rolled SO easily and I didn't want to give that up. I hoped to get a "low drag" x-ring chain but couldn't find one in that bike's size so I settled for an RK o-ring. After the install I couldn't feel a difference rolling the bike around.

For a big bike the DID VM x-ring sounds like the hot ticket.