Sign in to follow this  

Kickstart kit

I had a kickstart kit installed on my 400s and I'm finding it difficult to kickstart. It doesn't turnover like on my 250. The kickstart lever just seems to freeze and doesn't have the ratcheting feel I'm used to. Also, I received the unused parts and (decompression lever, etc.) and it included what looks like a largish metal bushing. He says, "That piece is a stock item that goes under a retaining strap that now houses a gear for the kit."

Any advice would be great.

Sounds right so far. You have to ease it past compression with the kick lever, then give a kick.

The large bushing covered an oil port in the shaft that an idler gear is now mounted on.

Thanks guys. I didn't think of trying the kick starter with the bike on the side stand.

I hear you about the mods. I didn't intend to change so much but once you fiddle with one part it needs something else and all of the sudden you've spent a lot more money and time than you excepted.

I am happy though. It is nice riding something that has a bit of your personality in it.