Sign in to follow this  

Slickest O-ring Chain (428)

I want to put an o-ring chain on a KTM 105 (428 chain) so power loss is a consideration. My first research indicated that the DID VM X-ring chain is the lowest drag sealed chain but they've stopped making them in 428. What is the next slickest available?

Edited by Lelandjt

Dude...the powerloss..is unnoticeable...actually..unmeasurable. This has been gone over before...once a o-ring chain gets warm, there is no measurable powerloss. Just pick a good quality chain and your fine.

Then why are there o-ring and x-ring? Cheap and expensive? Some must be better than others and the DID VM sounded like the ticket, but they stopped making it in my sive. So, what's the next best?

Dude...the powerloss..is unnoticeable...actually..unmeasurable. This has been gone over before...once a o-ring chain gets warm, there is no measurable powerloss. Just pick a good quality chain and your fine.

+1:thumbsup:

Then why are there o-ring and x-ring? Cheap and expensive? Some must be better than others and the DID VM sounded like the ticket, but they stopped making it in my sive. So, what's the next best?

Different sealing o-ring styles and cheaper metal. Cheap metal will stretch and wear out quicker! Some are better then others to a point.

Different sealing o-ring styles and cheaper metal. Cheap metal will stretch and wear out quicker! Some are better then others to a point.

First off, chains don't strectch. They get longer cause the pins and pin openings get worn, and the distance between the pins changes. But the plates never change dimension.

Second, an o-ring chain is only needed if you don't like to lube your chain, don't like to clean your chain, want you chain to last a long time, or if you ride in wet conditions. Oring chains were developed for the International Six Day event, where you were not allowed to change chains or maintain them for six days of riding. You could put on (4) $38.00 chains or (1) $135.00 chain, and get the same wear for your money. Unfortunately, the chain wears your sprockets, so the sprockets have to be changed more often too, when you use cheap chains.

Thirdly, all chains rob power, but not from friction, but from WEIGHT. The increased reciprocating mass slows the build of RPM's of the motor.

It is not a HP issue, it is a 'RPM rise-time' issue.

O/X rings are much heavier, last longer, need less maintenance, and save your sprockets.

I run the DID VT2 chains son all my bikes (X-ring).

As mentioned above, the powerloss is extremely unnoticeable. Chain drives are pretty efficient at between 90 and 95 percent efficient.

An X ring chain could possibly help with longevity if you ride often in very dirty or dusty conditions. There is no difference in 'performance', however. Also as stated, chains don't stretch, they wear - and cheap chains will wear faster.

..a

^That's why I was looking for suggestions. The DID was highly recommended but unavailable.