Sign in to follow this  

My first GoPro videos ever! From the race this weekend

I bought a GoPro Hero 1080p a few days ago, and I got to use it at a local race yesterday. The track was pretty greasy in some spots from the rain earlier this week and was kinda rough, but what can you do? If you guys could check these out and maybe critique my riding a bit, I'd apprectiate it. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRkHbMiYR9Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq-ft6rMdz0&feature=related

Looked pretty wet in some places for sure.

Few things to note... 2 strokes like to be on the pipe and honestly, I didn't see one point where you were actually on the pipe. Most of the time you were just way down low in the RPM band using the torque rather then power. You should focus on revving it out more (doesn't hurt the bike) and learning how to manage the bulk of the power using the clutch. You shift way too early, like you're going up 2 gears in one section and basically bogging the bike because your so low in the RPM range.

On the start, pinned my friend, pinned. Right before he drops the gate, you want that throttle to be pretty much on the stopper and then use the clutch as your throttle exiting. Yep the YZ250 has a lot of power, so get forward on the seat and try to keep the nose down. Don't forget, 50% of the race is the start! :bonk:

Another thing, which is nit picky, don't use the clutch when up shifting. Just slightly release the throttle and change gears. It will make for more smooth shifting for sure.

Otherwise, everything else looks fine to me. You could have easily caught that guy on the 4 stroke in front of you. So next time around, release the beast and go get 'em! :smirk:

Looked pretty wet in some places for sure.

Few things to note... 2 strokes like to be on the pipe and honestly, I didn't see one point where you were actually on the pipe. Most of the time you were just way down low in the RPM band using the torque rather then power. You should focus on revving it out more (doesn't hurt the bike) and learning how to manage the bulk of the power using the clutch.

Another thing, which is nit picky, don't use the clutch when changing gears. Just slightly release the throttle and change gears. It will make for more smooth shifting for sure.

Otherwise, everything else looks fine to me. You could have easily caught that guy on the 4 stroke in front of you. So next time around, release the beast and go get 'em! :bonk:

Thanks for the advice! I actually had a friend that races watch these and he said nearly the same thing. I don't know what my deal is with lugging it.. I guess I feel uncomfortable when I'm wringing it out so I subconciously ride a gear higher than I should. I always feel like I'll blow it up or something if I make it scream too long. That's one of the things I'm working on now, though. That and coming into corners faster, as well.

And I thought it was ok to not use the clutch when shifting down, but you're supposed to use it when you shift up?

Well, your bike won't blow up from high RPM running, no way. You can rev that thing to the moon and nobody would be the wiser. Find some nice big piece of flat land and literally ride the bike in 3rd or something until it runs out of steam. You should be shifting it right before it runs out of steam, get into the next gear and move on.

Here is a video from earlier this year that I made just play riding on a dusty hard-pack track with no grip. You will notice 2 things, one; how the motor sounds like its in panic mode a lot and second; you can't hear me change gears. All you will here is a slight "pop" and thats the gear change. Yes, its a 125 and they do like to be revved more then the 250's for sure. Still hearing what a panicked/manic 2 stroke should sound like is good! :bonk:

http://youtu.be/1bkh1MlIMR4

I think you need to be a gear or two lower in the turns. Right now it looks like you are expecting the the power to be there, and when its not, you stumble. If you were down a gear or two, that power you expect to be there will be and your turns will be a lot smoother. Even if it doesn't make you any faster, you will save yourself a ton of energy. You are wearing yourself out by not flowing well.

what class was that???

250/450D. I want to move up to 250C pretty soon but It's been raining a lot here, so we haven't had many chances to ride in the past couple months.

I think you need to be a gear or two lower in the turns. Right now it looks like you are expecting the the power to be there, and when its not, you stumble. If you were down a gear or two, that power you expect to be there will be and your turns will be a lot smoother. Even if it doesn't make you any faster, you will save yourself a ton of energy. You are wearing yourself out by not flowing well.

I've never really thought about it, but that's exactly what's happening. Some turns I get it right, and some turns I don't. And on the ones where I don't, I stumble like you said because it messes up my flow.

I've never really thought about it, but that's exactly what's happening. Some turns I get it right, and some turns I don't. And on the ones where I don't, I stumble like you said because it messes up my flow.

If you see some of my videos on youtube on my kx250, you will see that I had the same problem, I had to look at the video to figure out I needed to be a gear lower.

Heres my channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/KAWIMAN35?feature=mhee

250/450D. I want to move up to 250C pretty soon but It's been raining a lot here, so we haven't had many chances to ride in the past couple months.

They have a D where you are? Shit, out here the least is C and it's like 15 year old's on dad's bought new 2012 250F full of mods and they're throwing full on pro style whips, its outrageous! :bonk: The A class are like kids going to Loretta Lynn's championship and the Pro class is full of EX pro's who are just lookin to have some fun.

They have a D where you are? Shit, out here the least is C and it's like 15 year old's on dad's bought new 2012 250F full of mods and they're throwing full on pro style whips, its outrageous! :bonk: The A class are like kids going to Loretta Lynn's championship and the Pro class is full of EX pro's who are just lookin to have some fun.

Yeah, I hear it's pretty different out there in California haha. Around here the C and D class are where the bulk of riders are. During the summer, the D class is usually the most full with around 15 riders in a race. The C class has some pretty fast guys, but also some guys around my speed, which is why I'm wanting to move up after I have several good, consecutive races in the coming month.

Yea, things are very different out here. When I go back to Boston in the summers to visit my parents, we always go to a local race, just to watch and I always look at the grids, the tracks and I'm like, holy shit this is WAY easier then So Cal. Mind you, if I lived there I'd probably think different! LOL :bonk:

In the description i says "1st Moto of 250/450D"

Way to add to the thread... ??? doesnt say it anywhere in the thread, and I didnt open either of the vids. since they were embedded.:bonk:

To the OP, the reason I asked is because I think you looked pretty good... assuming you are somewhat of a beginner to the racing scene? Just follow Tyes pointers and you'll be ready to move up in no time. Concentrate on keeping that bike on the pipe so it just takes off rather than needing to build up when you decide to roll on the throttle, clutch control can help emmensly with that. Also one thing I noticed that may help you in the corners, is to get up on the seat and get that inside leg up by the front fender if your going to put it down. I know it was muddy/ slick but tapping your foot on the ground just slows you down most of the time.

Way to add to the thread... ??? doesnt say it anywhere in the thread, and I didnt open either of the vids. since they were embedded.:bonk:

To the OP, the reason I asked is because I think you looked pretty good... assuming you are somewhat of a beginner to the racing scene? Just follow Tyes pointers and you'll be ready to move up in no time. Concentrate on keeping that bike on the pipe so it just takes off rather than needing to build up when you decide to roll on the throttle, clutch control can help emmensly with that. Also one thing I noticed that may help you in the corners, is to get up on the seat and get that inside leg up by the front fender if your going to put it down. I know it was muddy/ slick but tapping your foot on the ground just slows you down most of the time.

I was just posting that i saw that in the description, jeez its like i insulted you or something?

I have nothing to add, tye pretty much summed it up. I wouldnt suggest moving up a class already though.. Get a win in that class then move up or just get more comfortable