Sign in to follow this  

2007 kx450f good or bad?

Im selling my 05 crf450x and was thinking about getting a 2007 kx450f i found, it has about 40 hrs on it and a new top end, looks extremly clean, even though i have not seen it in person yet, all stock except for a fmf Q muffler and bars and a scotts stabilizer and hand gaurds, which makes me think its been riden just off road not track riden, im wondering if thats a good yr for this bike? Is there anything i need to be on the lookout for or any questions i should ask about it? This would be my first Kawi but im egar to make the switch beacuse the monster motor that the kawis are known for.

Any tips welcome, Thanks

Very good bike. New 5 speed for that year, newer forks, lots of motor upgrades.

Things to lookout for:

- stock swingarm rubstrip wear out in a few hours- should be TM or MSR

- case screws strip out easily for newbies

- plastics fasteners fall off (rear fender) if not locktited

- Oil Drain plug can strip/crossthread easily

- Pistons need to be replaced before they reach the service limit, or they can crack (60 hours or less) and should be upgraded to 2008, and then you can go 150+ hours or to service limit.

Not as 'durable' as a CRF450X, because it's 45lbs lighter (I have both), and is not the same build quality as Honda, but the next best thing IMHO.

Handling is EXCELLENT and much easier to ride than an X.

Fork and shock will be stiff compared to an X (if you're under 250lbs) and usually needs to be re-valved for trail riding.

I use mine as a high-speed and low-speed play bike, and it's a gas.

So would say like a 08 OEM piston swap in no problem, and if not a

OEM then what else would be good to put in it? Also im used to stiff suspension, On my X its stiff, Im not below 250, and i plan to stiffen the kx's suspension as well to handle me especially since ill be useing it on the track alot more then trail riding, so that 45 lbs lighter will come in handy. So then the biggest thing to lookout for is the piston i take it. Thanks. Also i found a 2008, but it just doesnt seem to be as in good of shape, i get a bad feeling on it kind of.

So would say like a 08 OEM piston swap in no problem, and if not a

OEM then what else would be good to put in it? Also im used to stiff suspension, On my X its stiff, Im not below 250, and i plan to stiffen the kx's suspension as well to handle me especially since ill be useing it on the track alot more then trail riding, so that 45 lbs lighter will come in handy. So then the biggest thing to lookout for is the piston i take it. Thanks. Also i found a 2008, but it just doesnt seem to be as in good of shape, i get a bad feeling on it kind of.

'08 is better all around. Different frame, suspension, etc.

Don't worry about 'what to put in it' until you inspect the bike. Condition is all that matters.

Okay thank, i just found out the 2008 i found is sold so ill be looking at the 2007 sometime next week hopefully.

I'd have to agree with krannie. Also look for the upper bolt on the oil filter cover tends to strip and a 5mm longer bolt is needed. These bikes are not best on tight trails. I'm going with a flywheel weight to mellow the bike out a bit. They have a ton of power though! I love mine.

Good bike. A friend of mine has one and we ride all the time. He's never had ANY issues with it.

I'd have to agree with krannie. Also look for the upper bolt on the oil filter cover tends to strip and a 5mm longer bolt is needed. These bikes are not best on tight trails. I'm going with a flywheel weight to mellow the bike out a bit. They have a ton of power though! I love mine.

The handling is a little slow in the tight stuff, but it's not weird like a CRF, or a Old-school MX bike. It's planted, predictable, and easy as hell to ride.

Put on a slower-turning throttle cam, and it's even easier to ride.

I had an 07...it was a GREAT bike! I liked that motor better than my sons 09 KX450. Loved the power, and never had any problems with it.

Compared to the 07, the 08 has ... same frame but different front engine mount, much better forks, better linkage and matching shock valving, more docile engine timing, heavier crankshaft, coating on the piston pin.

I wouldn't care about the lighter crank in the 07 (or 06), unless you work or abuse the engine real hard.

Install a Wiseco std comp piston kit in any 06 to 09 engine, and you can relax for 100 hrs if you ride it hard or 200+ hrs if you give it medium or lighter workload.

If the bike is healthy, then chassis and suspension setup is key. When you replace a few parts on various year model KX450Fs and set them up how you need it, the 2006 to 2011 all can be made to handle extremely similar!

The major differences were: 06 = lighter frame and engine and 4 speed. 08 = much improved forks. 09 = EFI, 23mm triples, and better stock shock.

I thought the '07 was the first year to have the coated piston pin? Either way I ran my top-end till like 150 hours of hard riding and there was only slight galling on the pin. You could physically see it but barely feel it.

As far as the swingarm rub strip.. well I still have my original on there and its got about 200 hour on it and no signs of needing replacement yet.

'08 has upgrades in suspension and different front engine mount, but motor is detuned.

$2000 to $3000 depending on condition. I have a standing offer from a buddy of mine who is still riding a kx250 and wants to move to a 4-stroke of $3000.00 for mine.

Its gotta have like 175-200 hours on it.. BUT he knows i take care of it and he rides with me and knows it runs great, and also the suspension is setup for his size and weight which is identical to mine.