Sign in to follow this  

Hairline crack in lip of front rim?

i noticed a small hairline crack in my front rim by the lip where the bead of tire sits under. is that common for it to crack? its also slightly bent there. is it safe to ignore it?

a small crack can just split right through with the right hit. and a rim cracking through is never safe.... it's time to change it out. there are many good threads on how to relace a rim, so you should be able to get her all fixed up once you buy a new rim. The good news is there are many different choices in many different prices to choose from.

you'll also want to make sure your spokes and hub are all good too, but it is usually a good idea to just get some new spokes because the kind of force needed to do that damage to the rim also can cause some serious damage to the spokes too.

a small crack can just split right through with the right hit. and a rim cracking through is never safe.... it's time to change it out. there are many good threads on how to relace a rim, so you should be able to get her all fixed up once you buy a new rim. The good news is there are many different choices in many different prices to choose from.

you'll also want to make sure your spokes and hub are all good too, but it is usually a good idea to just get some new spokes because the kind of force needed to do that damage to the rim also can cause some serious damage to the spokes too.

can you post one of the better links on how to spoke your rim? i found another complete wheel but most of the spokes are loose. is that bad? can they just be tightened up?

No it's not.

yes it is

it's the point where the aluminium is put together to make the ring

90% of bikes older than 10 years or so have it, even with new bikes/rims

it's been in my 91 rm250 for 5 years now, as long as the crack doesn't go bigger

ignore it :bonk:

i also checked with a metalworker, he said it's pretty common, no biggie

and don't try welding it, it will make the alu very weak and a rim isn't thick

if you look closely at a rim, you can see where the ends are put together, and in many cases ppl don't even know they have crack because it's so thin

however if your crack is not at this point, i'd replace the rim

yes it is

it's the point where the aluminium is put together to make the ring

90% of bikes older than 10 years or so have it, even with new bikes/rims

it's been in my 91 rm250 for 5 years now, as long as the crack doesn't go bigger

ignore it :bonk:

i also checked with a metalworker, he said it's pretty common, no biggie

and don't try welding it, it will make the alu very weak and a rim isn't thick

if you look closely at a rim, you can see where the ends are put together, and in many cases ppl don't even know they have crack because it's so thin

however if your crack is not at this point, i'd replace the rim

I disagree with you. Im with Krannie, its not safe!

I have cracked 6 rims so far this year. If you are jumping I would say replace it, but if not it should be fine. I noticed a small crack in my rear rim and went to the track knowing it was there. It did not get any bigger the first time out but the next time the crack did get a little bigger. Dont have them welded. I tried that on 2 of my rear wheels and they both cracked again. One cracked after 2 times and the other one after 6 times at the track after being welded. Its just rediuclous that I keep on cracking them. I noticed yesterday that I have a big crack in my rear rim. So now I have to go buy another. The prices of wheels are crazy. Most sets are around $1000 unless you buy chinese wheeels.