Sign in to follow this  

97 kx 250 air gap?

Air gap?? What do you mean?? and since no one else has responded to your post ill go ahead and respond to get it going but I have no idea what you mean by air gap maybe I know it by a different name or something what does it do or where is it on the bike?? Carb or what? lol

Lets boost my knowledge here could someone please tell me what air gap he is referring too? Im either having a dumb moment or something lol..

it is the gap between the exciter and the nub on the outer side of the flywheel

which not sure about that bike but most new oem pickup coil are non adjustable unless you modify them.

I was also lost also....I thought he was refering to the front fork air gap to fluid height. :bonk:

Its adjustable. Looking at it the gap is huge on it. I thought the timing was off on the bike because it would kick back while starting. I looked at it and found the entire flywheel, well everything was oxidized pretty bad, with a little rust on the flywheel. Just trying to find the setting now. Guess I am going to have to buy the manual. I think I read an 07hour had a gap of. 033 but. want to check this one out. Just cleaning up the oxididation made it start easier

I have the 97 FSM, and unless I'm blind, I don't see an adjustment....and I don't feel like taking my 94 apart. lol

My 03 manual states:

Crankshaft Sensor Air Gap

Standard: 0.63 ∼ 0.67 mm (0.025 ∼ 0.026 in.)

I have the 97 FSM, and unless I'm blind, I don't see an adjustment....and I don't feel like taking my 94 apart. lol

My 03 manual states:

Crankshaft Sensor Air Gap

Standard: 0.63 ∼ 0.67 mm (0.025 ∼ 0.026 in.)

Thanks, maybe im not doing it right I am new to 2 strokes..and well Bikes as far as that goes, but I just loosened the screws on the pickup and gently slide it against my feeler gauge. Am I doing something wrong here? Just figured it was the same as an old points system

Oh my bike was set around .09

Thanks I appreciate the info, This bike has been a bear to start. When I pulled the ignition cover and saw the oxidation I assumed that was the problem, then I saw the gap and thought WTH?I cleaned it up set teh gap, cleaned the carb and check the reeds while I was at it and wouldnt you know it started up 2nd kick :bonk: After teh bike was warm before it would always start 1st or 2nd kick but when cold I would be worn slap out from trying to start it kicking it so many times.

for cold starts, I turn the gas on, lean the bike over to the left so a splash of gas comes out the carb vent tube, turn the choke on, give 2-3 slow primer kicks, then kick it to start, once it starts, they have a tendency to rev, so I throttle the choke on-off-on-off until the RPM's settle, then I leave the choke on depending on how cold it is, until it can idle without the chocke, after a couple minutes, clean it out with some revs and you're good to go.

On starting I would do to what Jeekinz says and add do not turn the throttle, leave it closed when kicking.

Ed

Thanks guys, have my fatty pipe being ceramic coated right now. Rain for the next 6 days so I wont be riding anytime soon. I will however see how it starts cold when I get my pipe finished....Wish I could find a fmf at a decent price...