Sign in to follow this  

May have found a bike, but the price is scary?

Ok, so I put up a new thread this past week about getting an XR650L. I have come to the conclusion I am going to buy a used or brand new Yamaha WR250X or WR250R. The X I can use for the random track days in the summer and for a fun commuter. I found a left over 2009 Yamaha WR250X that has about 3000 miles on it. The bike was used for demos at the dealership. The bike has not been titled by anyone and the dealership has had it since 2009. I consider it 'used' since it does have some miles. A brand new 2012 WR250R/X go for around $6500 in my neck of the woods. The 'used' 2009 I am looking at has a price tag at $6000. Is this price far over or am I being a cheap skate?

1. It is a left over 2009 still sitting on showroom floor.

2. Used as demo bike and has 3000 miles on it.

3. KBB/NADA books it at $4500.

4. Asking price is $6000 and a 2012 is $6500.

What should I do? Haggle the guy down to earth? :bonk:

Edited by downonmonday

If he wont come down I'd pay the extra and get the new one. Those bike seem to comand high prices used. I'd rather have a brand new bike. You can break it in properly ect.

Ok, so I put up a new thread this past week about getting an XR650L. I have come to the conclusion I am going to buy a used or brand new Yamaha WR250X or WR250R. The X I can use for the random track days in the summer and for a fun commuter. I found a left over 2009 Yamaha WR250X that has about 3000 miles on it. The bike was used for demos at the dealership. The bike has not been titled by anyone and the dealership has had it since 2009. I consider it 'used' since it does have some miles. A brand new 2012 WR250R/X go for around $6500 in my neck of the woods. The 'used' 2009 I am looking at has a price tag at $6000. Is this price far over or am I being a cheap skate?

1. It is a left over 2009 still sitting on showroom floor.

2. Used as demo bike and has 3000 miles on it.

3. KBB/NADA books it at $4500.

4. Asking price is $6000 and a 2012 is $6500.

What should I do? Haggle the guy down to earth? :bonk:

A wr250x for random track days?:smirk::lol::banana:

Also, for the extra $500, go with the new one!

A wr250x for random track days?:smirk::lol::banana:

Also, for the extra $500, go with the new one!

WR250X is a super-motard. I have seen them at the track dragging knee. :bonk:

Yes, also for $500 I can get a new one! The dealership must be crazy.

Why even bother asking such a silly question,$6000 for a used bike with 3000 miles on it? Spend the extra $500 and buy new:bonk:

Why even bother asking such a silly question,$6000 for a used bike with 3000 miles on it? Spend the extra $500 and buy new:bonk:

I know a sucker is born everyday, but I'm not new to the riding scene. It does come with a 1 year factory warranty once it rolls off the showroom floor. What should I offer the guy? It's in great shape, but it is used.

WR250X is a super-motard. I have seen them at the track dragging knee. :bonk:

Yes, also for $500 I can get a new one! The dealership must be crazy.

I thought that was what he meant. :smirk: I was thinking motox track!

I thought that was what he meant. :bonk: I was thinking motox track!

Sportbike tires on an MX track...that would be interesting!!! :smirk:

If the bike is in demand and can't be found easily new then $500 below new for that bike might be reasonable. The dealer should be selling that used one for around $1,200 less than a new one for anyone to buy it.

If the bike is in demand and can't be found easily new then $500 below new for that bike might be reasonable. The dealer should be selling that used one for around $1,200 less than a new one for anyone to buy it.

The bike is not in demand. Yamaha already pulled the plug on the WR250X and has the WR250R now for 2012. For some reason the Yamaha motard did not go over well? I like it. I know there are left overs across the U.S. but I'm not willing to drive 8 hours to get a bike. The fuel cost would offset the haggling. lol