Sign in to follow this  

My 2000 YZ 250 rebuild thread

After having the bike for a year and a half and enjoying every second of it, I've decided to completely tear down the bike and give it the TLC that it deserves.

I'll be doing a total maintenance rebuild of the entire bike, including all new bearings and bushings throughout, painting the frame, etc. I have already rebuilt the motor a few months ago along with a new tusk clutch kit (7 hours riding time on the hour meter), so all the motor needs is outside appearance work to make it look new again.

Here's a parts list that has already been ordered/I already have:

Chassis / Bearings:

All Balls Linkage Bearing kit

All Balls Swingarm Bearing kit

All Balls Upper and Lower Shock Bearing kit

All Balls Front and Rear Wheel bearing kit

Tusk Billet Race foot pegs (These things are monsters!)

Suspension:

Pivot Works Fork rebuild kit

Race Tech Shock oil and dust seal

Race Tech 0.46kg/mm Fork Springs

Race Tech 5.0kg/mm Shock Spring

Race Tech Type-1 Fork Gold Valve kit

Race Tech G3-LD Shock Gold Valve kit

Race Tech Ultra Slick 5w Fork Oil

Race Tech Ultra Slick Shock Oil

Intake/Fuel/Engine:

Namura Std Piston kit

Tusk Clutch kit with heavy duty springs

Boyesen Superstock Fiber Reeds

Tusk Case Saver

Tusk Clear Fuel lines

Assorted Main and Pilot Jets

Parts that I still need:

A new expansion pipe, either stock or Pro Circuit (mine is tweaked).

Frame Paint

Either UFO frame guards or grip tape/vinyl.

etc

I already tore the bike completely down this past weekend (took me 2.5 hours start to finish) to get ready for media blasting and prep work for next week, my Christmas vacation.

So, here's the bike when i bought it August 2009:

downsized_0630001831.jpg

Here's the bike when i got it home:

0701101927.jpg

Here's the bike recently, before i tore it down:

0319111600.jpg

Here's the bike in my garage, torn down and ready to be rebuilt:

yz250.jpg

I'll be updating this thread as i progress through the rebuild, which will be this coming weekend and next week after Christmas.

My first question is, what frame paint do you guys suggest? I've been hearing the PJ1 stuff is pretty good. I'll be media blasting most of the metal parts on the bike and refinishing them.

Powder coat, did mine last winter and still looks good after a summer of Idaho single track.

Powder coat, did mine last winter and still looks good after a summer of Idaho single track.

Wanted to go the powder coat route, but don't want to spend the $150+ shops around here charge to do it.

I'm trying to decide what color to paint the frame. I was thinking either yami blue, aluminum grey, or black. What do you guys think would go best with my current graphics?

i would do blue or black. i dont think you can get PJ1 anymore. maybe in black but that may be it. i did my frame black with a automotive paint out of a spray gun. it seems pretty durable but i havent got to ride with it yet.

i would do blue or black. i dont think you can get PJ1 anymore. maybe in black but that may be it. i did my frame black with a automotive paint out of a spray gun. it seems pretty durable but i havent got to ride with it yet.

Amazon has the PJ1 in Yamaha Blue for like 7$+shipping a can.

Good looking bike.

The previous owner of my bike painted the frame with PJ1 right before I bought it. It only lasted 2 months on my frame. If it sees any gas or solvents it immediately dissenigrates back to a liquid.

I powdercoated mine, it's held up awesome for about a year now. If I were to do it again, I would go with a darker silver.

I was also thinking about just using Duplicolor Engine Enamel. I think Ford Dark Blue or Chevy Blue looks the closest. I've used the engine enamel before (My Buick GN motor) and it's held up pretty well. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the pics xlr8rr.... that yellow one is BITCHIN!!!!!

I'll have to call around and see what other prices i can get for powder coating.

Couple things i was thinking today as I plan for next week.

1. What would be the best way to clean up the radiators? Should i just soak them in a cleaner (like simply green or fantastic)? What have you guys done?

2. What would be the best way to clean up the airbox? Its filthy dirty on the inside and want to make it look bright white and brand new.

3. Is the swingarm aluminum on these bikes? So if i were to clean it up and give it a light polish, it won't oxidize, right? Or should i clean it up and then shoot a couple coats of clear on it?

4. Are the stock hubs aluminum? Basically the same as above.

I'll post more if i think of anything else.

Couple things i was thinking today as I plan for next week.

1. What would be the best way to clean up the radiators? Should i just soak them in a cleaner (like simply green or fantastic)? What have you guys done?

2. What would be the best way to clean up the airbox? Its filthy dirty on the inside and want to make it look bright white and brand new.

3. Is the swingarm aluminum on these bikes? So if i were to clean it up and give it a light polish, it won't oxidize, right? Or should i clean it up and then shoot a couple coats of clear on it?

4. Are the stock hubs aluminum? Basically the same as above.

I'll post more if i think of anything else.

1) I straighten the fins with a small blade screwdriver. It takes forever and it's hell on your neck, but they look new from 5 feet away. For cleaning I would drop them off at a radiator shop, they should dip them for you for cheap.

2) Wd-40, simple green, etc. and some elbow grease should get the nasties off.

3) Yes it's aluminum. You can polish it without worry, but the polish will fade.

4) Yes

I used some Tilex (i think thats the name) to clean my airbox. the bleach in it really helps clean the white up.

As far as the subframe, you can polish it. I thought about just sanding it down and then shooting clear over it too. But in the end, i sprayed it silver and then cleared it.

Got a chance to work on it for an hour today, got the motor out and started cleaning up the frame.

When i pulled the motor out, i discovered this:

GOPR0218.jpg

I guess it's something you would expect from a 12 year old Dirtbike. #99Problems

But at least Santa showed up with this box of goodies right after I discovered the frame damage!

GOPR0234.jpg

:bonk::banana::smirk::ride:

Try a poly-urethane 2 pack gloss. Hard as nails and wont chip in big chunks like powder coat can after some time.

They use this stuff as industrial coatings. You can get a few different types. Some Poly-U's have a tiny bit of flex instead of drying super hard. Aka rock's wont chip, they somewhat bounce off and nearly leave not even a pin hole if it were a sharp rock.

The thing with powder coating is heat is involved to back the powder finish on. Which for an older steel (moly) might weaken it due to the higher temperatures used to bake it on.

I've had plenty of steel frames powder coated, but the last few they went to town with the sand blaster and blew holes in one frame. And the other it must of copped too much heat in the baking process and made the frame weak getting cracks in it. And it was an enduro bike!

But its all down to personal preference

Little progress today. Power Washed all my parts yesterday to get them as clean as I could.

Brought all my parts to my shop to begin cleaning and stripping everything. Worked on the swingarm today. These are "before" shots, I didn't get any after shots. More to come.

GOPR0245.jpg

GOPR0248.jpg

GOPR0252.jpg

For those wondering, that's a turbo buick I'm also in the process of rebuilding. :bonk: