Converting RMX to RM Plastics (1998).

I got a 1998 RMX 250 back in March of this year, it does great on trails and seems to provide the best of both worlds for me. BUT, I'm ready to get back into track riding, I've been a couple of times and the suspension holds up easily, even on the bigger ramps. Problem is, the bike feels bulky with the larger tank (I believe it's 3.2 or 4.2 gallon?), headlight, and tail light.

I don't suppose the front fender or front number plate would be a problem, but will I have to replace the seat if I get an RM tank? Also, will the side plates fit? I can weld new tabs for them to screw into if needed, I just need to know what it's going to take.

And since I'm on the subject, Gas tanks for the RM are ridiculously priced, anyone have a used one for sale? I'll pay for shipping and what not.

Thanks!

Do not weld on the frame ~ it will instantly lower the value of your RMX.

Your seat will be fine with an RM gas tank of the correct vintage.

Plastic wise consider this:

89 ~ '92 RM250: For a front fender, left side panel and gas tank.

The right side panel and rear fender is a problem as the silencer mount is actuallty a secondary frame bracket which makes it too long to use an RM rear fender. So the only way to use an RM rear fender and right side panel is to mount a complete '92 RM250 pipe and silencer.

, the bike feels bulky with the larger tank (I believe it's 3.2 or 4.2 gallon?), headlight, and tail light.

It's a 3 gallon tank, just don't fill it up all the way, that should help with the weight of the tank.

Also, the lower sump on the RMX tank probably lowers the center of gravity of the bike a little thus improving handling, that's my guess. you could also remove the headlight & tail light if you want to shave a few pounds.

Finished. I used 92 everything, I got it all in one package and just slapped everything on there. Only thing that didn't fit verbatim was the Tank. I built a mount for it using a 2 Washers, two rectangular extenders, and an All thread bolt with 2 more washers and 9/16 nuts. Everything works great. I'll post pictures upon request.

• Like 1

My 92 RMX is wearing RM plastic from UFO. Everything bolted on just like the previous post explained. I did get the RM silencer and had to trim it by 1/3" at the connection to the pipe. That way I made no frame alterations, and if I ever sell it I can set it up on either configuration.

hey i would be interested in your light and rear fender if i can get em on my 96 rm. want to throw a plate on it to connect trails.