Sign in to follow this  

yz 250 1998 help push rod won't return/ clucth lever has no pressure

hi im rebuilding a 1998 yz 250 but i ran into a problem, after i changed the clutch basket and put everything back together with the original friction plates and bolted on the pressure plate, my actuator arm has no pressure, i can move it back and forth with my hand with ease,

im not sure if this is supposed to gain pressure once the engine is turned on or what, the whole engine been taken apart, besides the bottom end, and help?

first picture is not of my bike, its a yzf 400, just to give a visual of how my actuator arm looks

and how would i take of the actuator arm on this model, it doesn't come in together with the stator

yz400f_clutch_act_04.jpg

860_clutch.gif

Did you go to a Hinson Clutch basket or somethign well built? If so, that might be the issue. The stock pressure plate is a cast POS. So is the stock basket. These two have smooth edges that back together very easy. If your using a machined part, the sharp, crisp edges catch against the cast pieces and the clutch springs really are not powerful enough to drag them back together.

I flipped those shims once. The clutch worked great, but was tough to pull in using both hands.

I flipped those shims once. The clutch worked great, but was tough to pull in using both hands.

On a Yz85, there is a bearing (ball) that acts as a spacer with part number 23 (push rod) you show on your exploded view. Very easy to lose when it falls out. Not sure if it's the same on a Yz250.. But, it could be. I've let it get away from me, and then had no pressure on the accuator arm when putting it back together.

No ball on a 98 yz 250, but it is a good point. Some of the older drawings showed the ball being there, btu its not accurate.

Right... didnt miss a spacer/ washer durring reinstal did you? Are you sure the splines are lined up correctly?

where are the splines located?, and yes i did put in all washers, also the actuator arm pushes the rod in and out, just that it wont return i have to push back with my hand. Do you think this will gaint pressure once i put the engine together and turn it on?

On a Yz85, there is a bearing (ball) that acts as a spacer with part number 23 (push rod) you show on your exploded view. Very easy to lose when it falls out. Not sure if it's the same on a Yz250.. But, it could be. I've let it get away from me, and then had no pressure on the accuator arm when putting it back together.

i've been told of that, what kind of metal is your ball bearing?? i might get one

i've been told of that, what kind of metal is your ball bearing?? i might get one

unobtainium or carbon nanotubes.:bonk:

Why would you want to put something into your clutch assembly that wasn't designed to be there?

Pull out your service manual and triple check you have everything installed correctly. Then inspect the parts. Clutchs are pretty basic, you'll find your problem if you look hard enough.

I have this same problem. I have changed those washers back and forth. And still nothing.