Sign in to follow this  

Suspension worth the money?

Bought this bike (2009 kx250f) back in June of 2010 and it was Revalved and springed for the guys son. So this summer i checked the sag and it was actually perfect for me (100mm) but the static sag was somewhere around 60mm not sure what the exact number was but i believe its supposed to be around 25-35. So i contacted the place that did the suspension and he said $350 for springs, a service, and valving for my weight (parts included).

So my question is first of all, do i need it? And would it be worth the money for a novice/beginner rider or should i just use to money towards parts? I am 16 so money is tight but i can get it done for Christmas.

I would say that right suspension setup and controls are better upgrade than any engine or exhaust stuff. But suspension is difficult to be setup right because when you get faster you need different things and adjust your suspension with your speed. It needs work.. alot of it. I mean, when you get your suspension right, you get faster. And when you get faster you need to adjust it to cope with your speed. And again.. and again.. the same old story. :bonk:

Someone double check me on this but if the race sag is correct you weigh the same as the previous rider which means the springs were wrong for him also. Did you set the race sag or is it as it was for the previous rider? If you haven't adjusted the sag i wouldn't use that shop. You can buy the correct springs and put them in yourself, that's were i would start.

Correct springs are paramount to a balanced feel to the bike, not to mention bottoming, etc, and you are correct in that it appears your R. Spring is too soft. But buy a stock one/correct one, off someone at the track, fast dudes have tons of takeoff's, at dirt cheap prices.

But as for revalving/etc, w/o knowing what was done, it is speculation to say whether or not it is worth changing. I would find a knowledgeable, experienced rider at the track who knows your model, and get them to ride it and give u some basic setup tips, do them, then go from there.

In THIS "obaminable" economy, $350 is a helluva lot of dollars that could be better spent on other things like the proper tires for your track, and on handing some very-cool-but-waay-faster-than-u rider a $50 bill, in exchange that he spend 30mins chasing you/letting u tail him. You will learn more in one day than in a solid frustrating year of riding with 200 other dudes, all of your same speed. And crash WAAY less in doing it. I promise you.

Correct springs are paramount to a balanced feel to the bike, not to mention bottoming, etc, and you are correct in that it appears your R. Spring is too soft. But buy a stock one/correct one, off someone at the track, fast dudes have tons of takeoff's, at dirt cheap prices.

But as for revalving/etc, w/o knowing what was done, it is speculation to say whether or not it is worth changing. I would find a knowledgeable, experienced rider at the track who knows your model, and get them to ride it and give u some basic setup tips, do them, then go from there.

In THIS "obaminable" economy, $350 is a helluva lot of dollars that could be better spent on other things like the proper tires for your track, and on handing some very-cool-but-waay-faster-than-u rider a $50 bill, in exchange that he spend 30mins chasing you/letting u tail him. You will learn more in one day than in a solid frustrating year of riding with 200 other dudes, all of your same speed. And crash WAAY less in doing it. I promise you.

well said

Without question the best money you can spend on your bike.

proper suspension set-up is smoother.....smoother = faster.......faster = more fun.

Let's review........the right suspension = more fun. see how that works.:bonk:

Gonna go against the grain here...unless you are expert/pro level and pushing the limits of your bike I think most MX suspensions today are good stock for most people and just need clicker adjustments.

But $350 for springs and valving sounds like a deal....it's at least double that here.

edit: whoops just realized it was already set up for someone else....in that case it could be way off.

Unlike sport bikes, in the dirt bike world, there is really only one thing between you and the ground, that's your suspenders. If you don't treat them well, if you don't maintain them by chaining the oil every season, if you never take the time to set them up right, they will fight back and probably cause you to go slower and perhaps crash. Treat your suspenders well, they will treat you well in return. :bonk:

Gonna go against the grain here...unless you are expert/pro level and pushing the limits of your bike I think most MX suspensions today are good stock for most people and just need clicker adjustments.

But $350 for springs and valving sounds like a deal....it's at least double that here.

edit: whoops just realized it was already set up for someone else....in that case it could be way off.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

You buy shoes to size, don't you?

You buy pants to size, don't you?

Try walking around in the wrong size shoes for just an hour, and see how your concentration is all messed up, your feet hurt, your day is ruined.

If bad suspension is a good idea, why not trade in your stock suspension for something a bit older, and sell your suspension on ebay, to save money?

NO bike comes with the correct suspension for ANY rider. We make do with what we have, usually for reasons of budget.

To say that you will not enjoy, improve, or like having your suspension tuned to your needs, is because you have never done it!

Every once in a while a manufacturer gets lucky with the Showa or KYB offerings and can refine it or stick with it and get a very good results. But that is very rare (2012 KX450, 2007 YZ250, 2006 RM250, 2008 CR450F, etc)..

The only 'best' suspension is the 'best' you've ever experienced, then you cannot say what someone else might need.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

You buy shoes to size, don't you?

You buy pants to size, don't you?

Try walking around in the wrong size shoes for just an hour, and see how your concentration is all messed up, your feet hurt, your day is ruined.

If bad suspension is a good idea, why not trade in your stock suspension for something a bit older, and sell your suspension on ebay, to save money?

NO bike comes with the correct suspension for ANY rider. We make do with what we have, usually for reasons of budget.

To say that you will not enjoy, improve, or like having your suspension tuned to your needs, is because you have never done it!

Every once in a while a manufacturer gets lucky with the Showa or KYB offerings and can refine it or stick with it and get a very good results. But that is very rare (2012 KX450, 2007 YZ250, 2006 RM250, 2008 CR450F, etc)..

The only 'best' suspension is the 'best' you've ever experienced, then you cannot say what someone else might need.

I have ridden a bike set up for me..an 07' WR450. Had that thing resprung for my weight and revalved...and then revalved three more times and it still was a terrible handling POS. Having a bike set up for you doesnt guarantee anything.

But as far as MX bikes of the last 8-10 yrs...they are all very good out of the box. I am riding an 04' CRF450 right now on stock suspension..so far have only had to turn the shock rebound in a little. Is the spring the correct one for my weight? Probably not. Is it setup perfectly for me and terrain? Prob not "perfect" but it is damn good..... is it worth $700+ to get it resprung and revalved? Hell no. Can the suspension shop make it worse than it is now? Im sure they could.

Does RG3,Factory Connection,Precision Concepts pay commission for referrals or what?

IMO-better suspension is the best bank for your buck .....friggin period!!! If the guy knows what he is doing 350 is surely a deal for springs and a revalve.

I just bought a used 05 450 and before I even take it out I am dropping $240 on springs (F&R) and takin it to my local suspension shop for probably $300 to revalve and new seals even though its probably fine but the previous owner was 30-40 lbs lighter than me.

Better suspension makes you faster, more confident and (hopefully) crash less. Hands down the best money I have ever spent to upgrade my bike(s).

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Well if i didn't do it the money wouldn't go towards an exhaust or power gains. Just tires, fluids, etc. The guy is a local and many people recommend him and hes always at the races helping people out and answering any questions.

Yes its usually 700-800 around here too so i thought $350 was a good deal seeing how springs themselves are usually 200+ dollars.

Still not sure whether to do it or not i was leaning towards not doing it but now i am leaning towards just getting it done. Anyways, my suspension has never been tuned since i bought it, no new oil or seals.

suspension set up correctly for your weight and some valving work is like magic for me on every bike I've had. I ride em stock and then get the work done so I can appreciate the difference. Not really a motocross guy, but in the desert I can't imagine going without suspension work. of course if your just out having fun, maybe it doesn't matter. if you are trying to find speed, suspension will make a huge difference.:bonk:

I have ridden a bike set up for me..an 07' WR450. Had that thing resprung for my weight and revalved...and then revalved three more times and it still was a terrible handling POS. Having a bike set up for you doesnt guarantee anything.

Not privvy to that models weaknesses and strong points, but maybe it was just a turd to start with?

Or maybe you just took it to someone who sucked at suspension work?

Can the suspension shop make it worse than it is now? Im sure they could.

From your experience, it sounds like that occurred.

In my experience, just simply having the right springs for your weight can make all the difference, and that's not a bank breaker.

Valving can make an improvement upon that, but simply clean fresh oil makes the biggest noticeable change in an older bike.

You don't run the same old nasty oil in your bike's engine for 3, 4 or 7 seasons, why do it in your forks?

First thing i do to my bikes, but suspension needs to be done by someone who nows what they are doing otherwise its a waste of money it. i would do a check on who you take it to and try to talk to people who had there bikes done there. I have seen cheap supesion jobs from people who thought they new what they were doing. And my friends who got it, down the road had to send them off to get done right.

I'm new to dirt bikes but on the street, suspension is far more important than power. You can't possibly use all the power available, but the right components set correctly for the rider can made the world of difference in how a bike handles.

I can't believe it's any different off-road..

..a