Sign in to follow this  

Engine carnage...any guesses what happened?

Obviously something got in there that shouldnt have been...but what and from where?

mattdigi210.jpg

mattdigi213.jpg

The culprit...found this stuck to the piston. It's steel......soo where did that come from?

mattdigi218.jpg

Looking at pretty much an entire new top end...unfortunately the cylinder has some pitting in it too was hoping I could salvage that.

looks like it could be a ball bearing. Crank bearing ? Whats the side of the piston look like? Could it have gouged up the side?

looks like it could be a ball bearing. Crank bearing ? Whats the side of the piston look like? Could it have gouged up the side?

Side of piston and cylinder look ok. I dont see any way anything of this size could have squeezed past them.

Too small for crank bearing. Could it come from carb? Is there anything round like that in there?

Looks too small, yet no other bearing it COULD be...harder than aluminum obviously, but not so hard that it wasn't pounded...?? Is it shiny/finished on the opposite side??

But at any rate, if you are on a budget, I see nothing here that is ruined; the valve seat might not even need surfacing...if the piston is a forged one/not cracked underneath, Scotchbrite the bore and go with it---once u find the source of this bead. LoL

I know of nothing in a 4T carb that could come loose, except slag, and that would be soft/aluminum. The brass plugs are tiny and soft and yellow... Providing that everything works/noise-free, then I am stumped.

Too small for crank bearing. Could it come from carb? Is there anything round like that in there?

That's what I was thinking...but I do not know the answer to the second part. Guess I will take a look at the schematics.

Looks too small, yet no other bearing it COULD be...certainly smooth too. Is it shiny/finished on the opposite side??

But at any rate, if you are on a budget, I see nothing here that is ruined; the valve seat might not even need surfacing...if the piston is a forged one/not cracked underneath, Scotchbrite the bore and go with it---once u find the source of this bead. LoL

It looks the same on the other side...whatever it is it isnt completely round. More of a oval shape.

Hahah that's tempting...this bike is getting sold as soon as it's fixed. Not sure if I could do that to someone.

Had an idea, could it be a piece of slag from the inside of your header/pipe? If it was a rock/sand, then I would say you dumped the bike in deep sand and scooped this up, but it very well could be slag from a sloppy weld that broke off. I dremel the inside of my headers, and have seen some doozies (from "top of the line" companies, no less...).

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking...but I do not know the answer to the second part. Guess I will take a look at the schematics.

It looks the same on the other side...whatever it is it isnt completely round. More of a oval shape.

Hahah that's tempting...this bike is getting sold as soon as it's fixed. Not sure if I could do that to someone.

Just throw a new piston in and make sure you tell the buyer about the head, I don't think many people would really care about a few dints in the head...

The only way something can get into the combustion chamber like that is through the intake.

Did you have the air filter off for a while? Did you do any work around the bike with the air filter off?

Cant figure out anything from carb that could be that. Like already said, could it be anyway possible that it came through the intake.

Looks like a Yamaha piston and head, and the ball looks like the tail end of a rivet. Do you have a missing rivet on the air filter cage or anywhere in the airbox POST filter by chance?

Had an idea, could it be a piece of slag from the inside of your header/pipe? If it was a rock/sand, then I would say you dumped the bike in deep sand and scooped this up, but it very well could be slag from a sloppy weld that broke off. I dremel the inside of my headers, and have seen some doozies (from "top of the line" companies, no less...).

You are the winner. I was just talking to someone about this and we came to this conclusion as well.

I actually had my header pipe patched....there was a big dent and it was cut out...someone welded in a patch for me (free). I was about to buy a new one but someone offered to have an exhaust shop fix it for me.....and now I am kicking myself for saving a few bucks.

I noticed at the beginning of the day when I was warming up the bike at the truck I thought I heard something metallic clanking around...I am willing to bet this was the piece rattling around in the bottom of my header. About 15-20 minutes into the ride I crashed and when I went to start it that is when the engine took a shit. This had to be when it made its way up to exhaust valves.....man that seems like such a rare thing to happen.

I am considering this mystery solved...cant say I feel better about it.

That is a one wierd case on an engine carnage. But really people.. do you keep running your engine when you hear metallic sound from it? That is new and doesnt belong in there? Guys! If your engine makes wierd sound or vibrates, dont ride it! Check it out.. it takes few days to check the engine inside out. Hours gone but saves money.

That is a one wierd case on an engine carnage. But really people.. do you keep running your engine when you hear metallic sound from it? That is new and doesnt belong in there? Guys! If your engine makes wierd sound or vibrates, dont ride it! Check it out.. it takes few days to check the engine inside out. Hours gone but saves money.

Wasnt coming from the engine...and it was very very faint. At the time I thought I was hearing things. And the bike was fine at the time...idled normal,had the same power etc..

Only till after the crash did anything seem unusual...

In a way I am actually a little glad this happened....forced me to buy a better bike.

Come on guys its obviously a ball from his muffler bearings...

Don't be tempted to hide damaged stuff and pass it onto someone else.

Losers that do that do not deserve to be called men. They are beneath contempt.

Don't be tempted to hide damaged stuff and pass it onto someone else.

Losers that do that do not deserve to be called men. They are beneath contempt.

Don't worry my friend I do not conduct myself this way.....integrity over a fatter wallet in my book. It is getting basically all new everything from the piston up,because that's what I would do if I was keeping it...and that's what I would want if I was buying it from someone else. Shopping around for deals right now. Gonna break it in and shake her down to make sure everything is good before I sell it.

On that note..If anyone is interested in a 2007 WR450 with a fresh top end let's talk. :bonk:

[Come on guys its obviously a ball from his muffler bearings/QUOTE]

See I knew it was a bearing.:bonk: