Sign in to follow this  

SouthCarolina Wambaw Cycle Trails

CORRA will be working on the trails tomorrow (Dec. 20th). We will be removing some dirt piles that had been installed to close-off old trails during the last grooming.

We talked with the Forest Service and asked them to reconsider using this method of blocking-off old trails and they have agreed.

We thank the FS for listening and for being willing to work with us on this matter!

So does this mean there will be more trails? Or they will just be better marked so people don't fly into these obstructions??? I personally think sand mounds sound like a better idea than the initial method of just setting a log across the closed trails (although, I have not seen the sand mounds that your talking about).

I've seen the piles....a nice big hole and a mound of sand. These alternate routes are, in my opinion, a must have and should not of been closed off, especially that way. If there is alot of activity out there on the weekend, one needs a way around the traffiic. And if obeying the rules, you will be stuck behind someone for a long time waiting for them to notice you behind them. You need to have by-passes in some spots to avoid tearing up the Forest in random spots as people make their own way around others.

Hopefully they're thinking about doing so, which thats what it sounds like.

Well, here's the deal. We (CORRA) had gotten complaints from some riders who said the dirt mounds were dangerous 'cause when coming fast around a corner, they couldn't tell the dirt mound from the trail and they would run into/over it. Maybe fun if you're expecting it, but dangerous if you're not. So, we talked to the FS about it and pointed out the problem. They said to go ahead and fix them, but they wanted us to put logs across in place of the dirt piles. So, that's what was done. We got the entire north loop done and a little bit of the south before we ran out of light.

I really do appreciate all the work y'all do to keep this facility in working order because it really is a privilege to have such a large piece of land dedicated solely to OHV use...and maybe once I get moved down to Charleston full-time I'll be able to come out and help. However, I must say, strategically placed logs SOUND much more dangerous than piles of dirt...(Granted, I never saw the piles of dirt and have not seen the new logs)...

........However, I must say, strategically placed logs SOUND much more dangerous than piles of dirt...(Granted, I never saw the piles of dirt and have not seen the new logs)...

x2! :bonk::eek:

...However, I must say, strategically placed logs SOUND much more dangerous than piles of dirt...(Granted, I never saw the piles of dirt and have not seen the new logs)...
x2! :bonk::eek:

They are both dangerous. My friends and I have been telling Ranger Randy since summer 2010 how dangerous and insane the excavation/dirt piles are. For those of you who haven't seen them, they excavate a trench about 4' deep 6' wide and pile the dirt behind it. When your screaming 3rd or 4th gear down the trail you can't tell that the ditch/mound is there(it all blends in) until you are literally on top of it. Super dangerous.

The logs are retarded too but at least when they put them down you can usually see them. I always wonder though, over time when the ground over grows the log and you can't see it, how many people will be injured when they get ejected by the log!?!?!?!?!?

Either way, both methods are asinine and dangerous!

MAX!!!

.....strategically placed logs SOUND much more dangerous than piles of dirt...(Granted, I never saw the piles of dirt and have not seen the new logs)...

You are joking right? It’s a forest trail not an Highway, Logs, trees all natural obstacles are part of the game (yes dirt-riding IS dangerous), difference is that logs are a lot easier to spot at speed than sand mounds.

Both loops are finished now. We did block-off a few areas with logs, but not all. And Fabry is correct regarding the logs. Yes, it would be better to not have to use any, but they definitely will be much easier to see when ripping along.

Also, we will be beginning the Beginner's Loop project in January. We will need some help!If you would like to volunteer, PM me and I'll get you on our email list so we can keep you updated on the work schedule.

And finally, we have entered into a formal agreement with the Forest Service regarding the trail system. This agreement provides for us to work with the FS as volunteers to help maintain and improve the trails. We have worked hard to create a good working relationship with the folks at the FS. So, if you know of any issues that need to be addressed at Wambaw, let us know and we'll see what we can do to have them addressed.

Me and my son ride there twice a month at least and have been for years. We have not had a problem with any of it logs will do if you guys want logs. We just like to ride there and have noticed since corra has taken over that the trails are marked better and are in overall better shape. Randy doesnt seem to close as much and i dont know if you even have anything to do with it or not but the trails have been groomed more often. We really thank you guys and keep on doing it.

• Like 1

Has anyone ridden here recently??? I'm running the Sandblast Rally in Cheraw and having not been on the bike since October, I need to get some seat time.

Yes, rode there this past sat. Both the north and south loop were in good shape!

Yes, rode there this past sat. Both the north and south loop were in good shape!

Thanks.

Any things I need to be aware of,, like the tank traps/logs mentioned above?

Also, it looks like there are plenty of dirt roads in the area,,, true??

CORRA finished another grooming on most of the North Trail this past Friday. We're still trying to perfect our techniques, so please bear with us.

Please give us your feedback on the trails and the maintenance we're doing. We need to know how you feel about what we're up to. We're still learning the best way to handle the equippment, so it helps to get feed-back.

We're having a cookout at the trailhead this Sunday around noon so come on out and ride and have a burger or dog with us!

Finally, we're still on-hold on our Beginner's Loop project. Getting $ lined-up with the FS is alot easier said than done, but we're still patiently waiting on the go-ahead. It looks like February for sure. We still need to line-up some more volunteers, so please let us know if you can help.

That's all for now. Good riding!

Here's the latest update on out Beginner's Loop Project: We are starting work this Friday AM. We'll be there over the weekend. The work will be at the trailhead and will involve some heavy equipment, so please excuse the dust!

This project is being funded by grant funding obtained by the USFS and the work is being done entirely by volunteers.

We are still in need of some help so if you can spare a few hours and need a little excercise, please come out and give us a hand.

If you can come, PM me and I can give you some more details.

Rode at Wambaw today, it has been more than 3 years since I have been. The trail marking, signage, and arrows have never been better. The areas that have been mentioned that are used to close off unapproved sections of trail are barely noticeable and it's obvious if you are off the designated trail. As far as the trail grooming goes it is so dry down there it's really hard to tell how effective the work is and not knowing the condition of the trail prior to the work. But one thing that is certain, a lot of work and effort has made that trail system much better! Thank You for what you are doing!

CORRA worked last weekend clearing and doing the layout for the new Beginner's Loop. We are taking this weekend off because the rain stopped our dirt delivery. The new loop will be 4/10th of a mile long and will have a good clay-sand mix so kids and beginners wont have to fight the deep sand while learning to ride.

Beginner's Loop update:

We had a big weekend. Man, the dirt was flying around! We managed to get 368 cu/yards of dirt laid-out for the loop and the corner berms.

We have more dirt on the way and will complete the loop construction this coming weekend. Fencing and bleacher seats will follow after that.

Also, because we had enough help show up, we were able to groom all of the south trail and the short loop of the north trail.

Thanks to everyone who came out and contributed their time and energy. We will all be proud of our accomplishment when we see the kids out there!

If you want to help, PM me and I'll get you hooked-up.