Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha 05 Raptor 660 dies when giving gas.

Hey all...just picked up a raptor 660 that would turn over but not start for $250 bucks. Before i got it i made sure it had spark which it does, and i sprayed starter fluid in it and it fired right up and sounded smooth leaving me to believe it was gas. So i bought it with papers and all...anyway i got to it and ripped apart the carbs and there was some serious gunk inside there. First of all gas wasnt coming in through the metal tube on the carb so i removed that clog and got all the gunk out of the float valves. They were seriously clogged bad but i cleaned them till i saw gas spray out. I took all the jets out and made sure everything was clean. Anyway i put it all together and it started and idled smoothly. Well now problem is that when you give it gas it dies. I checked the floats and they are now getting gas although one side is getting to much cause it is leaking. So i have a few questions. Can a broken float valve do this? Because one side when you hold the carbs upside down is nice and springy and has play in it pushing down but the other side is stiff which allows me to think its broken...also on one side of the carb there was an extra jet like a 75 or something but the other side doesnt have that jet but there isnt threads for a jet anyway. IM sure thats normal just want to make sure. Anyway if its not this anything else i should check for? I think the concept for this carburetor setup is absolutely dumb. Also being that this thing confuses me the two black slides im assuming are the choke on this bike? cause when you pull the throttle in the flaps move up and down not those slides. Was curious to see how those move because when i pull the choke i dont see those move either although they move freely by hand. Anywway sorry for the long post but any help would be great! thanks

Could be one of the rev limiters not being connected properly. There are three, one for neutral, one for reversing and one for park brake.

when you pull the throttle the butterfly valve opens and the vacuum on the engine pulls the black slides up. you should be able to see that happen when its running and the back boot is off. the "extra jet" is probably the leak jet, i would think it would have one for each carb, but im not too familiar with dual carb quad setups so maybe someone else will chime in. if i were you i would take apart both carbs again and take all the jets out and spray more carb cleaner and compressed air into every carburetor passage you can...it sounds like that thing was pretty gummed up. get a new pilot jet for each side(the one with the little holes on top) because those are too hard to clean out very well. then make sure all the other jets are as clean enough that you can see light through them. there is a pin/needle thingy that comes out with the floats, the top of it should be able to be pushed down a half centimeter or so and feel springy, if it doesn't i would replace that too. it could be also possible that when you pushed them down you bent the little tab which is actually the adjustment for the floats. the easy way would be to set it back would be to measure the distance between that tab and the base that holds the float and compare that to the carb that's not leaking and make sure they are the same.