02 crf450 clutch wont disengage after rebuild!

Just as the title states, I had to replace the transmission due to a broken 4th gear and after getting everything back together the bike just goes once I put it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. I've got a few pics, I noticed that the marks visible on the clutch plate are on all of the clutch plates. Also when I took the pressure plate off I noticed most of the clutch fibers and plates were stuck to the it. Maybe I overtightened the pressure plate bolts but I dont think so, any ideas. It looks like I may need new clutch plates, the fibers are ok and within spec.

12182011198.jpg

12182011199.jpg

12182011202.jpg

get a manual, 1st course of business.

- overtightening the pres. plt bolts wont do anything, but you could strip the threads in the center hub.

-the metals can go in either direction. fibers are the same, they are non directional, just need to alternate.

-your clutch basket and boss look fine. no notching..

-did you loose the washer that goes between the throwout bearing (that goes on over the push rod that you can see the end of) and the pressure plate? It sticks to the pressure plate when you take the pressure plate off and it is easy to loose.

if you lost the washer, it will add a ton of free play to the lever, and the throwout bearing will ride directly on the pressure plate when you pull the lever in.

Thanks for the reply, I do have a manual. I havent removed the clutch basket to check for that large washer but Im quite sure that its there. I've just never seen clutch plates with that type of wear/imprint on them. What would cause a clutch to not disengage? The cable feels fine and everthing worked before disassembly.

not talking about the large washer behind the clutch basket.. im talking about the washer that goes on the throwout bearing that goes on the shaft that is clearly visible in your basket photo..

-pressure plate.. throwout bearing.. NEed to know what parts we are talking about. Pressure plate is your 2nd photo. There is a washer that goes between that, and the throwout bearing. its about 1" across, and goes right in the middle around the middle round hole of the pp.

don't know what else to say then, look for obvious stuff then like cable adjustments, perch adjustments, etc. DIdn't sound like you had lots of motor builds under your belt when talking about clutch plats sticking together (happens all the time due to sticktion of oil) and the condition of your basket and metal plates (that look perfect).. sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I figure I should post how I ended up fixing the problem. When I installed the clutch basket I used an air gun and obvisiouly over torqued it, while I have used this same method on other bikes this time it just didnt fly. So I retorqued the basket and installed the clutch and it works perfect. So dont over tighten those clutch baskets!