Sign in to follow this  

2011 rmz 450? 2012 crf 450?

Heys people, Deciding between a 2011 rmz 450 and a 2012 crf 450, not sure what i'm going with for sure yett, but can anyone give me some cons of the crf 450 or some pics of your bikes even i'm stuck on what to go with and i'm going to pick one up in a few weeksn:bonk:

I bought a 2012 CRF450 a couple months ago and the bike is awesome. It is my 3rd CRF I have owned and they have all been great bikes. I did put a 6 Spring Hinson Clutch in it to remedy the Jutter Spring Clutch though. I dont much much about the RMZ's but you cant go wrong with a Honda!!

Just my .2 cents

2 riders locally just bought new crfs and say there are better than there past crfs.

Have ridden both in the last two months. CRF450 was the weapon of choice. RMZ was good as well.

I own 3 hondas and one suzuki. When it came time to buy the 2011 I wanted the RMZ. Couldn't find a RMZ local and the dealers that did have them wanted $8700. I bought my 2011 honda for $6200. Price plus local support were my decision points and I love my 2011.

FYI... another thing to consider is Suzuki is having issues related to offroad support. They make great bikes but having a rough patch when it comes to offroad.

Tough decision, i'd personally go with the newer model year if its close in price. Your going to get some pretty bias opinions in the Honda forum, but I'd say with the price of new bikes so high now, work the hell out of both dealers and take the better deal. They all have their pros and cons.

Heys people, Deciding between a 2011 rmz 450 and a 2012 crf 450, not sure what i'm going with for sure yett, but can anyone give me some cons of the crf 450 or some pics of your bikes even i'm stuck on what to go with and i'm going to pick one up in a few weeksn:bonk:

I had both the 11 CRF450 and 11 RMZ450 this past summer. Also spent a weekend riding the 12 CRF450.

The 12 CRF450 is much improved over previous CRF's (11 model included). More stable and settled chassis. Very light feeling because it is very light. Gets a bum rap for smooth power but some of that is the very quiet muffler.

The 11 RMZ450 is very easy to ride in terms of handling and power. Just goes wherever you want effortlessly. The power is a little soft of idle but builds nicely into a strong mid and good top. I prefered the lean coupler as it livened up the overall throttle response. Kind of old school slower revving style power with more compression braking but just hooks up and encourages you to go faster every lap.

Both are strong bikes. You will not go wrong with either of them!:bonk:

Sorry for not responding back I have been away for a few days, but it is a hard decision, Only one probelm in order to get the suzuki i have to drive an hour and a half, In order to get a honda I drive a half hour, the driving ain't stopping me though I own a 2006 rmz 450 now and i gotta say I love the bike just decided to upgrade, i'll be talking to the dealer for sure for prices! :bonk:

Been on both...They are a blast...You will be impressed with the 11 RMZ however - very impressed. Other than dialing in suspension, it's race ready..No need for a pipe, clutch or whatever else the CRF may need. RMZ has one of the best engines in the market and the bike truly has a magically ride quality that you can only feel once you ride it for the first time.

Lastly, the RMZ is the most underrated, yet high performing bike in the market I feel. It's that good! Setup and ride - it's race ready.

I have been riding Hondas for years and love them. I recently rode a few rmz 450s and I love the bike. I was just in the market for a new bike and it was between the crf again or an rmz. Although I love the Honda and would recommend his bike for anyone. I am now selling mine and just got a 2012 rmz 450 and I love it. Both amazing bikes but I chose the rmz.

Back in the day, you bought a Suzuki because it turned and the Honda for reliability and OEM prices on parts and build quality. None of that has really changed..except but now the Honda turns as well as the Suzuki. And the Honda is almost 10 full pounds lighter. You'll notice that at the end of the moto when you're smoked....

Both bikes will probably get a pipe, right?

And you'll probably have the suspension done on them both too, right?

In the end, youre left with an extra 10 lbs. with the Suzuki. Its not a bad bike, its just heavy...

i have both bikes right now and i can not tell my suzuki is heavier then the honda. they both do everything so well. the bike hides the weight extremely well i dont agree with you onthe bike being too heavy. now the kawi and yamaha feel heavy but not the honda and suzuki

Back in the day, you bought a Suzuki because it turned and the Honda for reliability and OEM prices on parts and build quality. None of that has really changed..except but now the Honda turns as well as the Suzuki. And the Honda is almost 10 full pounds lighter. You'll notice that at the end of the moto when you're smoked....

In the end, youre left with an extra 10 lbs. with the Suzuki. Its not a bad bike, its just heavy...

Shawn, can I ask; have your ridden an 11/12 CRF and RMZ? Just wanted to see if you are speaking from real-world experience or still living in 1972.

I agree. The price of oem zook parts is enough to scare me away. Though I must say if I didn't ride honda's my only other bike of choice would be a yellow one.

I had a rmz and rode a 11 crf 450. It felt 20lbs lighter than my rmz. I now own a KTM 350 so I have no bias. The rmz was a great bike but it felt heavy compared to the crf and it was very noticeable.

"Most MXA test riders swear that the RM-Z450 feels more like a two-stroke than a four-stroke in the tight-and-twisties. It makes swift direction changes, as though the front end were attached to a roller-coaster track."

"Most MXA test riders swear that the RM-Z450 feels more like a two-stroke than a four-stroke in the tight-and-twisties. It makes swift direction changes, as though the front end were attached to a roller-coaster track."