Sign in to follow this  

Just bought 98 yz250, now what?

It just got a new top end. Besides that it is totally stock. I changed the plug and cleaned the filter. What are some basic mods to wake this thing up? How about suspension for a 210lb rider? I mainly just freeride in the dunes and desert. No racing its just a fun multipurpose bike. Any input is welcome. Also is there anything I should check out on the engine like cleaning the power valve or?. Thanks guys!:bonk:

For your weight you'll need to respring the forks and shock. While you're at it, a little basic suspension servicing might be in order......check swingarm and linkage bearings, new fork seals and bushings, replace the shock oil. I'm sure a bike this old will need these things done.

If you're pulling the top end you will want to make sure the cylinder plating still looks good, the con rod and main bearings are still in good shape and, of course, clean the power valve.

For engine mods, I'd start with trimming the cylinder head to get a little more compression (a visit to the machine shop), and puting in a V-Force reed assembly.