Sign in to follow this  

1989 XT600 mods

i just picked up a 1989 XT600 and tagged it and was looking for some mods i could do to it...runs very well and just put a UNI filter in and was looking at the airbox,very restrictive...what do i need to do to this bike to for alittle more performance? thanks:ride:

:bonk: any idea's? your thoughts on this old yammer:worthy:

how about looking at fitting a fcrmx carb off a 450 mx bike,

supposed to be a good boost for the likes of xr600/650's,

i'll be trying one on my nx650,when ive got some spare cash/time,could be a while yet

Lookin' good.

TT600 (and I assume most should work on the XT) - Performance Mods:

late 80's CR forks fit, some guys have also fit late model Yam forks fut I don't know the model

XR600 FMF exhaust (should fit but may need some mid-pipe work)

Raptor 660 Carbs or Ninja 250 carbs -both need lots of jetting work but give extra pickup

Carrello Con Rod

Grizzly 600 valves - 1mm over sized from stock

There are some cam available to beef it up. I have heard that the TT600 Cam is slightly more peppy than the XT but I am not sure on this

LA Sleeve with wisco high compression piston - watch you ankel

I have a 86, the biggest difference I have made that could really be felt, was uncorking the exhaust.

I have a Cobra pipe on mine, bought it new when I got the bike in 92. I don't know if it still availible.

Not a high dollar exhaust but it works well, downside it's a bit loud! Might try to adapt a better

late model pipe that is quieter and lighter. (Someday!)

I just keep my YDIS carb clean, and jetted it for the pipe, used the TT600 secondary jet.

I did open up the intake to the airbox a little. It won't be a race bike without major mods but the

few things I did made it more Peppy! Keep us posted what you do! Merry Xmas!

0924111722-1.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 1987 XT600 which I have just replaced the piston rings and lapped in the valves. I thought the valves were OK, but when I filled the ports with fluid, I found that 3-valves were leaking. After removing the valves I found pitting on the tapered surfaces. After rebuilding the engine, I started the bike with ease. On re-starting the engine after a cuppa, she kicked back with such force, never experienced so strong before, the kickstart ripped the sole of my Nike Air Max trackie in half, and placed a massive bruse on the sole of my foot, and almost ripped my foot off my leg. The morral of the story is so much more compression, hence more power.

On re-starting the engine after a cuppa, she kicked back with such force, never experienced so strong before, the kickstart ripped the sole of my Nike Air Max trackie in half, and placed a massive bruse on the sole of my foot, and almost ripped my foot off my leg. The morral of the story is so much more compression, hence more power.

alternatively,the moral of this story could be,dont try and kick start your xt wearing running shoes,theres another guy round here that can vouch for that