Sign in to follow this  

how to new piston?

What is the first step in tearing my cylinder off? Do I need to lock TDC before doing this, will a bolt do it or need special pin? How do you go about doing this, do you need to find tdc on compression stroke? I have manual, not very appealing to look at. Never took it apart. Its looking like I will have a lot of time this coming year to do no riding so I like to get a new piston and rings and check valve lash.

which engine?

I just posted some info you might find useful, for the post about how to put engine at TDC with top end off.

I would put it at TDC, although you can also do it on reassembly. I splurged and bought the crank lock tool, but most guys say you can remove the bolt, then the copper washer, and then re-use the same bolt. The "tool" seemed longer to me, and the top a bit more rounded.

the cams should have lobes facing outward and the hole in the lobe lined up even with the edge of the head. that's your compression stroke.

not sure without looking it up, but motor is from 2009 450 sxf.

so I should be able to use the bolt in the case or a longer one. I did not know if you needed a special tool. The bolt thats in there now serves what purpose, just a plug?

Timing chain you can slip off somehow without breaking it? I am guessing it does not have a master link.

I have 100 hrs on it, same piston. Need acl surgery this comming year, so I will have several months to fix.

which engine?

I just posted some info you might find useful, for the post about how to put engine at TDC with top end off.

I would put it at TDC, although you can also do it on reassembly. I splurged and bought the crank lock tool, but most guys say you can remove the bolt, then the copper washer, and then re-use the same bolt. The "tool" seemed longer to me, and the top a bit more rounded.

the cams should have lobes facing outward and the hole in the lobe lined up even with the edge of the head. that's your compression stroke.

on the side of the head, and below that, there are 2 shiny metal covers that stick out like a bump. those are for the timing chain gears, so no, you don't have to break the chain.

the crank lock tool is just a longer bolt with a slightly rounded end on it. yep, the original plug/bolt in that hole is only for keeping it covered until you lock it at tdc. I found it still moved, even when allegedly locked at tdc.

PM me your email address, I can send you some info that might help. I also have the 450 SX-F, but the '07 version (motor is the same, as far as I know).